Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2013 17:58:02 -0500

It's almost hot chocolate weather and I have received much conflicting info so I thought I would ask the list serve what is safe & gluten free....

 I received many replies and was asked numerous times to share my info - here are my many replies to share with you! Thank-you to everyone that replied!

Please note that US & Canada products can vary with ingredients, and I should have asked to included the country they were referring to.

> 1- Even though Swiss Miss is supposed to be gf, my son got immediately sick from it both times he tried it, so we don’t use it.

> Most often, we buy Horizon Organic Chocolate Milk, Oberweis Dairy Chocolate Milk or previously when he needed to avoid lactose, Lactaid Chocolate Milk, and just heated a mug in the microwave for cocoa.  We keep AH!Dont forget to check sandals resorts too, I think they are all inclusive and serve gf - remember that video they sent me a couple of months ago  LASKA Non-Dairy Chocolate Syrup on hand to mix with white milk before heating.

> Because sometimes he needed a dry mix to take somewhere we’ve tried AH!LASKA Organic Cocoa Non-Dairy Chocolate Mix (but you need to mix with milk/milk substitute) and Equal Exchange Organic Hot Cocoa (just add hot water.)

2- Swiss Miss, all varieties.  Listed o ConAgra.com validated list of GF products. Readily available,reasonably priced, often on sale...

> Makes g.f. easy & affordable!

> Not GF-- Nestles Quik...members reported problems and manufacturer confirmed not g.f.f even though label may look fine.  Has the "made on shared equipment..." warning and natural flavoring could also be a barley malt thing...

3- Per Cecilia's Marketplace GF Guide, these are GF

> All Swiss Miss

> Nestle Cocoa

> Hershey's syrup

> Land O' Lakes All flavors

> Looks like you have a lot of choices, actually!  Remember, it's an FDA product, so it would be clearly labeled for wheat (Due to FALCPA) and barley is not hidden under flavorings.

4- We found one of those big cans of Saratoga Farms cocoa powder to be very good.  It is sold with camping food or online.  Will last a very long time but tastes good and when we checked it out several years ago, it was gluten free.

5-

> many, if not most brands has a bit of gluten

> There are some things you have to take with a grain of salt.  Perhaps it is just the ones I have bought that have been GF.

6- I use either the International Coffee Mocha flavor or I use the Private Selections which is the store brand for the Kroger store I go to.

7- I have used Swiss Miss and Nestle.  Many products don't say "gluten-free" because of possibility of cross contamination at production of the ingredients.  It is very difficult to guarantee no cross-contamination when you are dealing with various products from various suppliers.

> I personally use products that have no gluten-containing ingredients.

8- I called Nestle Canada about this and they told me that they will identify any form of gluten in the ingredients or in the allergen statement (as part of artificial or natural flavour, for example).

9- Chocolate is one of those things that is SO WORTH IT to figure it out for yourself. The mixes have a tiny bit of cocoa and loads of sugar. Kind of boring. And expensive.

10- http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/Gluten-Free-Beverages/a/Gluten-Free-Hot-Chocolate.htm

> I googled and came up with this link.  I buy Swiss Miss on the rare occasions I have hot cocoa, or I make my own from Hershey's cocoa powder, stevia powder, vanilla and water and milk.

11-    I use Chatfield's Carob Powder which I buy at my health food store.

> It is gluten & caffeine free & is made from roasted carob pod. It doesn't

> take as much  sweetener as chocolate, I use honey.

>    You may not be familiar with carob so will send you an attachment

> about it.

12- Arrow mills or farms, the target store brand

13- We buy Swiss Miss. I do believe we called on this back in the day and the company confirmed it was GF. Another brand (Nestle?) lists wheat in the ingredients. You should be okay reading ingredients but call the 800# to confirm.

14- the chocolate that I use is SEISS MISS  classics milk chocolate gluten free on te box. enjoy

15- I just bought some and got sick it was marked gf. I threw it out (my kids and I have celiac) so I didn't want to take any chances. I found a recipe it makes about 7 cups of mix then you put 2tbs of mix in milk it's very good if you would like the recipe let me know.

16- Swissmiss

17- Swiss Miss milk chocolate instant is gluten free and marked so on the package.

18- We use Nestle's. There's no gluten in their hot chocolate mix.

19- http://www.medifast1.com/Products/Site/Medifast_Direct_Products/MedifastMeals/Drinks/prd~57300.jsp

> Medifast Has a hot chocolate that is certified gluten free

> It is good ... But not cheap ;-)

20-  I buy Wegman's store brand.

21- Dagoba from Oregon

Ghirardelli