From:
Susan Frix <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Frix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 17:23:05 -0400

A week or so ago I sent a post about a new cookbook by Carol Fenster, titled
COOKING
FREE (Avery, $18.95).  The cover states that there are 200 recipes that are
revised and updated from SPECIAL DIET SOLUTIONS and SPECIAL DIET
CELEBRATIONS.  Several people asked for a review.  So, here is it.

Stop right here and push the DELETE button if you're not interested.

This book gives substitutes to use for everything!!  Gluten-free, egg, dairy
and sugar substitutes are provided.  She gives a basic recipe and suggested
alternatives.    For instance, silken tofu is suggested  as a substitute for
the eggs in a bread recipe.    Nutrition information is included for each
recipe.

There are charts to help pick the best substitutes and directions about how
to use each substitute.  My favorite is the flour substitution chart.  Now I
understand why so many different flours are mixed to make something.
Fenster says, "combinations of gf flours produce better texture than a
single flour."  There is also a chart which lists common sources of wheat,
gluten, dairy, eggs, corn and soy.  If one never uses the recipes the other
information would be of tremendous help in living gluten-free as well as
free from the common food allergens.

This cookbook has a selection of everything from soup to nuts:  Breads,
Breakfast & Brunch, Appetizers & Snacks, Salads & Salad Dressings,
Ingredients & Condiments, Main Dishes. and Desserts!  I was delighted to
find a recipe for PRETZELS!!  What a find.  My 4 year old granddaughter and
I will have fun making those.  What a novelty!!

If you have any questions, email me:    [log in to unmask]

Susan in OH