Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:54:12 -0400

Most of the credit for this one goes to my friend, Teri Kerr.  I've modified
it slightly.

This recipe is really good with Lemon Extract (most Natural Foods stores
carry Frontier Naturals - alcohol free extracts in the spice section.)
Although my allergic kid reacts to citrus fruits, this extract has not
presented a problem for him.

In addition, he does not usually tolerate eggs, but the small amount in this
recipe (1 egg in about 50 cookies) has been ok for him.  It doesn't work well
with Egg Replacer, but using just the egg white might be all right.

Best GF Sugar Cookies/Lemon Cookies

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine:

1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1 1/2 t. xanthan gum
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1/2 t. baking soda (not powder)
1/4 t. salt

In a smaller bowl, beat

1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil (or margarine, if tolerated)
1 t. vanilla extract (gf)
1 t. lemon extract (see above - this is optional but tastes great!)

Combine the egg mixture and the dry mixture.  Add a small amount of water if
necessary - the consistency should be that of a wet cookie dough, but not so
sticky that it can't be handled.

Using a cookie scoop (mine was worth the investment, by the way) drop 1"
balls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Then flatten the balls by
whacking gently with a spatula.  They won't spread too much, so flattening a
bit is wise.

Sprinkle with sugar, press again gently with the spatula to embed the sugar,
than bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Makes about 50
cookies - these keep well in an airtight container.