From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 20:47:50 -0800

I've seen this question come up on the list a few times over the years,
and it's always remained unanswered: Is Brewer's Yeast GF?

Since I've liked using it in the past, I decided to pursue this. I have
a piece of info and am looking for someone knowledgeable about the
brewing process to help me figure out the mystery. (Don't you love a good
mystery?)

When I asked a manufacturer of Brewer's Yeast how it was made they said,
"It is extracted from non-fermented byproducts of the brewing process
involving botannical saccharomyces, in the brewing of beer and ale."

It sounds like it's probably unsafe at any speed, however I thought I'd
ask if there's a "non-fermenting point" in the brewing process that might
just happen to be before one adds malt. If malt is part of the process
from the beginning it's clearly toxic. If malt gets added later, I'll
pursue this further to see if the point at which they extract the
brewer's yeast is "Before The Malt."

Thanks in advance to all who answer. Please reply to my email, not the
list, and I will summarize later.
--
Linda Blanchard      and a quick wave "Hi!" to Beverly Ford...
http://www2.basinlink.com/us/mindpla/main.htm  <==celiacs and sf