From:
Beverly Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beverly Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:49:00 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Here is the summary of the restaurants and advice I got regarding St. Augustine Florida and Savannah Georgia.  I want to thank everyone who responded.  It will make our trip so much easier.  Thanks for all the great college advice too.  I can't believe my baby is going off to college.  She was diagnosed 10 years ago and it seems like yesterday.  Thanks again!
Blessings,
Beverly Wahl

The Matanza InLet in St. Augustine is owned by a Celiac and will cater to your needs - Great food!

You might check out a book "Beyond Rice Cakes - A Young Person's
Guide to Cooking, Eating, and Living Gluten Free".  It was written
with the college student in mind and having to cook in a dorm, living
GF on a college campus, etc.  You can find it at
www.celiaccentral.org or on Amazon.com
You might ask if any of the dorms have kitchenettes in them. Many
schools provide this option now, and this will give your daughter a
refrigerator and stove so that she can prepare some of her own meals,
and this also makes getting breakfast much easier for her, as opposed
to the processed foods in the cafeteria.  Also ask if she can opt out
of the meal plan if they are not responsive to her needs.

My husband and I were in Savannah in March for three days celebrating
our anniversary and ate at Outback one night. We had lunch one day at
"Express Cafe" in the old section where I was able to have soup that had
not been thickened with flour and was so delicious. There is a
Carrabba's Italian Grill at 10408 Abercorn St. Enjoyed that one as well.
For our Anniversary dinner we ate at Sapphire Grill at 110 W. Congress
ST in the Historic area and they were extremely helpful and a gourmet
serving.
We inquired at "Bubba's Oyster House" if they would make me a gluten
free meal, very busy place, but I was told they do not cook GF. Very
disappointing. Therefore, I didn't try "Lady and Sons" which is the
Paula Deene restaurant.
I wish your daughter great success with choosing her college, our
grandson was diagnose in Dec while on break from college, his first year
and it was difficult for awhile. Find a college that understands.  Hope
this info will help you.