From:
Shughart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 06:26:07 -0500

Does anyone know of the merits of the Celiac gene testing available from the Lab Corp of America (North Carolina - 1-800-533-1037). This blood test (mouth swab also available) would be available through my local doctor's office, but I have been told that it is looking for more than is necessary (e.g. only the HLA-DQ2 from Dr. Fine's mouth swab gene test is needed - the rest is either redundant or not related to celiac disease?). If I understood them correctly they suggest two separate panels, the first, panel number 167593 ($280) covers the HLA and HLB genes associated with celiac, and the second, panel number 012542 ($372) looks at "all" DR and DQ genes associated with celiac disease. I spoke with someone named Sharon and then tried to get more information from their website, but the website did not really give much detail.
If indeed these other genes are in fact associated with Celiac Disease, it is worth it to me to cast as wide a net as possible, as my son has formed the belief that his clinical diagnosis of six years is erroneous (he had low D-xylose, anemia, steatorrhea, etc. but was not biopsied until long, long after being strictly gf, so we never had a definitive diagnosis, though we did have a terrible result from a gluten challenge four years ago, which resulted in severe GERD, but had to be cut short after one week, wait three for the scoping, which, not surprisingly, did not find damaged villi. Because he finally successfully weaned himself from the prescription pancreatic enzymes and can now eat most non-gluten foods that he used to react to, he strongly suspects that he could also tolerate gluten.). He has agreed that if there is any genetic predisposition he will stick with the gf diet. Therefore, I do not want to miss any chance at finding the genetic evidence if it is there, especially since my fear is that he would at some point turn out to be gluten sensitive whether it is celiac or not (given his history of severe reactions even to cross-contamination).
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks.
Hilary