From:
Melinda Freckleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melinda Freckleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 06:58:53 -0500

Hi all,
     My question about a friend's confusion about gluten and caffeine
restrictions in her diet sure hit a chord--I was overwhelmed with

     I asked for science underlying her confusion, and got very
little, but my inbox was filled with anecdotes about individual
reactions to caffeine and coffee.
     Thanks especially to Dr. Tichy, who explained the organic
chemistry--there is essentially no risk of cross reaction with gluten.

     Many people cited examples of reasons to avoid caffeine,
including the GI and neuro effects it can have on people, making some
celiac symptoms worse, or just mixing in with them.

     An overwhelming number of people offered the commonsense answer
that my friend (or her doctor) was confused by the huge amount on
information that each of us struggles with at the time of diagnosis,
and that lead to her incorrect belief. In this case I doubt it was
the doctor, as I use the same doctor, and know that she gave me very
good diet advice, and I know that the doctor herself has celiac, so
has to really live the diet herself.

     Several good suggestions that concurrent diagnoses of anxiety
disorders, graves disease or hypoglycemia would lead a doctor to tell
one to avoid caffeine--I suspect it was something along these lines
that actually happened, as my friend's health situation is a bit more
complicated than just celiac.

     Many people cited various old bits of information, with a range
of accuracy, about how in the past some celiacs believed all coffees,
or just flavored coffees were off limits.  Most agreed that nearly
all coffee is currently safe for nearly all celiacs!

     Thanks again for the kindness and generosity of information from
so many people on the list!
     Happy Holidays and good health to all!!

Melinda Freckleton