From:
Jennifer Gowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:58:14 -0500

Thanks to all who replied; I received over 65 responses! The bottom line
seemed to be that keeping our daughter GF might be a little inconvenient at
times, and perhaps a bit annoying to her, but necessary to avoid potential
life-or-death problems in the future (ranging from brittle bones and anemia
to miscarriages and malnutrition).
Some people believe "official" diagnosis via biopsy is the only way to go.
Some believe the blood test is sufficient.
Several said that if the diet worked, why torture her with a gluten
challenge!

I'm just very happy and relieved that I'm not the only one with this
difficulty.

And as a final note, after her Dad and I talked to her about Celiac Disease,
symptoms, tests and procedures, and asked her what she wanted to do, she
(very mature for her age, at times) said she'd have to think about it for a
while. The next day, before she left for school, she asked me to pack a
snack that's "OK to eat" and that she didn't ever want to have to go to the
hospital, so she would stick to her diet "forever, mommy."
Kids can be so cute...

Thank you all!

  Jennifer   8)