Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 20:51:05 -0500

These replies were in reference to the use of a substitute ingredient in
place of beer in the Bloomin' Onion recipe:

To make a batter light, a trick is to use seltzer. The beer is adding little
flavor...it is being used as a leavening.  Ann

I usually substitute gf cider or white wine for beer in cooking, as in
steaming crabs, etc. I think either cider or wine, or just plain water,
might work here.  Bobbi

I have a couple of recipes that called for beer.  I found that miso (a
fermented soy bean paste) adds some of the same yeasty undertones.  Not all
are g.f. however, since barley enzymes are often used in the cultures.  Bev

Thanks to all who took the time to write and add a little more fun to
cooking.