From:
Brenda Slater <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brenda Slater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:16:39 -0400

Last November I began searching every Whole Foods in Atlanta, GA for their
Honey Frosted Flakes -- which as you know at that time were GF.  Finally,
in January 2006 I emailed their corporate office to inquire why they were
not stocking them any more. I was told they had a vendor problem for the SE
area but would have the a new vendor by April 2006.  I specifically asked
them if that meant they would change the formula for this cereal and
assured they would not -- they knew it was popular among Celiacs -- as do
their store managers to whom I spoke.  While in one of their Atlanta stores
today I noticed they finally had the cereal on the shelf -- but with a
sticker on the shelf -- not on the box -- indicating that the cereal now
contains malt syrup and is no longer considered GF.  The manager tells me
they don't have to list items for which there is only a "trace amount" of a
product as an ingredient - which is the case with the malt syrup.  I am
very disappointed with Whole Foods for breaking their promise to me and
intend to let them know.  Hope you will all join me and maybe they will get
the message and go back to the original ingredients.  Does anyone out their
have more info on the new goverment regulations regarding food labeling?  I
can't believe they don't have to list trace ingredients.

*******
*******