Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:26:40 EDT

Last autumn, I was contacted by someone from the ‘industrial bread  project’
. He told me that the method of modern, industrial bread-baking was
contributing to an increase in allergies like gluten intolerance.

Yet, food intolerance is a problem. Food intolerances and allergies do exist,
 possibly in greater numbers than is now thought in some circles, and we
should  not shy away from it.
New statistics from the European Federation of Allergy and Airways Diseases
Patients’ Associations claim that four per cent of adults and eight per cent
of  children in the EU now have food allergies.
The list of ingredients with the potential to cause allergies or intolerances
 continues to grow, including nuts, wheat, eggs, tomatoes, dairy (lactose),
yeast, seafood, soy and even citrus fruits.
However, unless an allergic reaction in the body can be proved, as with the
gluten allergy in coeliac disease, symptoms of food intolerance sufferers
remain  very generic. They may include a range of problems, such as depression and
 migraines to bloating and abdominal pains.
And, food companies should care because their situation is about to get very
hairy.
From 25 November this year, the EU will begin enforcing new rules requiring
food firms to declare on labels whether a product contains potential food
allergens. You can almost hear the lawyers drooling. Accurate diagnosis of
patients and competent testing for allergen content will be essential for the  food
industry.
To read the entire article:
_http://tinyurl.com/965l3_ (http://tinyurl.com/965l3)
Rosalie