Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:55:43 EDT

 Cook's Illustrated May/June issue has an article about Orange Chicken.  I
can't give the whole recipe here but I tried the chicken and it was crispy,
brown, and delicious.  However, leaving it in frig overnight resulted in soggy
chicken so it's better eaten immediately.

Coating:

3 large egg whites
1 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. baking soda
peanut oil

Beat egg whites until frothy.  In another bowl combine the cornstarch,
cayenne and baking soda.  Dip the chicken in the  egg whites and turn to coat - dip
in cornstarch mixture and let set on rack for a few minutes until set.  Fry in
peanut oil at 350 until done.

Note:  I cut up chicken strips and didn't use a thermometer and it was great.
 It didn't have the gritty taste and texture that rice flour makes and it was
also brown.