From:
Eleanor Symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:42:02 -0500

Hi listfolk,

There was a discussion recently about the GF status of the rice wrappers
known as "Banh Trang".  I'm under the impression that "Banh Trang" isn't a
brand name, i.e. it just literally means "rice wrapper".  I have three
packages with this name on them; all are from different companies, look
slighty different, and have slightly different ingredient lists.

But, in any case, I don't think you can rely on the labelling 100% for most
imported Asian products.  I have two main reasons for believing this:

1)  Here in Canada, labelling is bilingual, and I've noticed many items
which have different ingredients listed in French and English.  The most
blatant of these was the bag I saw recently, which was clearly printed:

Corn Starch
Amidon de Tapioca

(Amidon de Tapioca" means "Tapioca Starch".)

As another example, I have in front of me a package of Vietnamese instant
rice porridge.  (I don't use the seasoning packet anyway, as it probably
isn't GF in either language, but this is just to illustrate a point.)

English ingredients:

Aromatic, glutinous rice
Chicken powder
Salt
Monosodium glutamate
Onion
Coriander leaves and other spices

French ingredients:

Farine de riz                   (rice flour)
Farine de riz gluant            (glutinous rice flour)
Sel                             (salt)
Glutamate monosodique           (MSG)
Ciboulette                      (chives, I think)
Coriandre                       (coriander)
Epice                           (spice)
L'arome de poulet               (chicken flavour)
Huile comestible                (edible oil)

A bit of a difference!  The English was part of the original packaging.
The French label was added by the Canadian importer (Lion City, Vancouver).
 I don't know which is more accurate.  I really enjoy this food...so I
guess I'm just going to have to learn Vietnamese.  (yes, I'm serious!)

2)  About 5 years ago, the Toronto Sun ran a cover story about the
mislabelling and contamination of imported Asian condiments (e.g. oyster
sauce).  As I recall, the Canadian government tested these products, and
found that a disturbing number of them contained long lists of substances
that weren't listed on the label - including some dangerous chemicals.
These weren't brands you'd be likely to find in your supermarket - for
example, I trust the most popular brands like Y&Y and Lee Kum Kee.  But the
farther off the track you go (in search of bargains or authenticity), the
more likely you are to find shady products.  Caveat emptor.

That said, I've just been to the corner of Broadview and Gerrard here in
Toronto, and found some great treats in the Vietnamese shops: Knorr fish
sauce at 99 cents for 750mL, and sweet bean-paste- and banana-filled rice
flour cakes.  The cakes are made locally, and appear GF from the label; I
might try contacting the manufacturer to get a better idea.

BTW, for anyone interested in ethnically GF cuisine, I highly recommend the
book "Seductions of Rice", by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid - a bit
pricy, but gorgeous, full of recipes, pictures, anecdotes, and information
about all kinds of ingredients from different parts of the world.  You will
not feel deprived about your diet while reading this book.  But you *will*
feel very hungry.  :)

So I guess my point is, have fun but be careful.  Try to stick to known
brands, or accept that you may be taking a risk.

Good health and good eating to all.  (NB: I have no financial interest in
any product mentioned above.)

Eleanor