From:
"Jackie R." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie R.
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:30:55 -0700

Since my posting about a tongue reaction that might be related to
gluten triggered so many responses concerning MSG, I thought I would
provide some additional information this very common food additive.
Several people said MSG contains gluten... I don't think it does
necessarily... my internet research says it is usually made from corn
although it could be made from wheat, and so perhaps it is
occasionally.  It will be interesting to see which foods contain wheat
when the new labeling law comes into effect this January (oh boy!!!!!).

There are a number of websites that express grave concern about the
increasing amount of MSG in food-- there is even a spray that is used
as a growth stimulant on fresh produce.  It sounds like MSG is about as
ubiquitous as gluten and has many of the same health impacts.  If you
feel skeptical about adverse health claims, check out the FDA 1995
statement on MSG (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/msg.html), which
appears to substantiate many of the health concerns expressed on such
websites as msgtruth.org and msgmyth.com.  Despite the fact that the
FDA acknowledges the health impacts of MSG on a portion of the
population, they have not taken steps to curtail or better label its
use.

People with food sensitivities or allergies are more apt to have
problems caused by MSG, so that includes many of us.  If you are GF and
still having health problems that a strictly GF diet isn't curing, you
might want to look into MSG as a potential cause.  I know our family
will.

If you want a more detailed list of additives that contain MSG and the
health effects (all of which I have gleaned off the websites listed
above), let me know and I will email to you.

Jackie in AZ