Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 23:09:08 -0400

(CONTINUED FROM PART I)

SOME HAD SUGGESTIONS FOR  ENRICHED PRODUCTS, OR WHOLE GRAIN FLOUR:

-Your email prompted me to check my Kinnikinnick baked goods and they are fortified with the usual B vitamin, folic acid and iron.  ....  I had long since given up on having baked goods comparable to the nutiritional contribution of wheat products -- especially fiber, but also the usual vitamin/mineral enrichment wheat flour-based products get.  Kinnikinnick also has a higher fiber bread (called brown sandwich bread, I think) and a higher fiber plus seed version of their very good dinner rolls (called tray rolls).  ....  I will have to check the crackers and pancake and baking mixes I use.  I'm glad you and the other poster brought this up.

-Using brown rice flour will help some.  I also add Salba or milled flax seed to my recipes.  I can't tolerate the bean flours, so that is out for me.

-Companies currently enriching/fortifying some of their gluten-free products include Ener-G Foods, Kinnikinnick, Glutino, Enjoy Life Foods, and Perky's

-As many of you know most refined wheat-based flours, breads, and pasta are =
voluntarily enriched with B-vitamins and iron and most mainstream breakfast=
 cereals are fortified with a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. Unfort=
unately, most refined gluten-free flours, breads, pastas, and breakfast cer=
eals are not enriched/fortified. The good news is that an increasing number=
 of manufacturers of gluten-free foods are enriching/fortifying their produ=
cts. Also there are a number of gluten-free whole grains that naturally con=
tain these nutrients. In 2005, my colleagues and I published an article entitled, "Gluten-free di=
et survey: are Americans with coeliac disease consuming recommended amounts=
 of fibre, iron, calcium, and grain foods" (J Hum Nutr Dietet. 2005;18:163-=
169). The abstract from this article is available through my website (www.g=
lutenfreedietitian.com) on the newsletter page under the heading scientific=
 articles.

- The flours that most Americans eat are REFINED, not whole, which means that some 40 nutrients are lost in the milling process, and about 7 are put back to call it "enriched." ..... Now take a look at the grains available to Celiacs.  Sweet White Sorghum, Teff, Millet, Amaranth, Quinoa, Buckwheat, etc. are POWERHOUSES of nutrition.

-Having read several books on digestive health since being diagnosed, I've learned that "enriched" grains are never as healthy as the original grain.  In addition, many of the naturally gluten-free flours have many more nutrients than wheat so eating these grains instead of a "GF flour mix," the bulk of which are rice flour, would be better.  Of course, almost all nutrients can be found in vegetables - if you look beyond the popular ones.  Both my dietition and digestive health resources, recommend getting my nutrients from veggies as they are better for your general health than grains.

ONE SCHOLARLY WRITER WHO CORRESPONDED WITH ME OVER SOME TIME, AND OTHERS AS WELL, SUGGESTED AVOIDING OR TOTALLY ELIMINATING GRAINS :
- Your assumption that others are well nourished from fortified flours
may not be very accurate. For instance, with the high phytate content of
grains, they interfere with mineral absorption. Grains are mostly
carbohydrates with quite high glycemic loads. Thus, a large component of grains in the
diet really isn't very healthy for anyone, and fortification will not do
much to reverse either of the above.

- After 5 years of being strictly GF and trying to stay trim in our
mid-40's/early-50's, we found that the best thing to do is to just
avoid all flours/grains completely. We eat fish, meat and dairy, and
lots of fruit and vegetables and nuts, with occasional lentils, rice,
buckwheat or potatoes. We take vitamins daily and feel great. Who
needs all those flours?

- Having read several books on digestive health since being diagnosed, I've learned that "enriched" grains are never as healthy as the original grain.  In addition, many of the naturally gluten-free flours have many more nutrients than wheat so eating these grains instead of a "GF flour mix," the bulk of which are rice flour, would be better.  Of course, almost all nutrients can be found in vegetables - if you look beyond the popular ones.  Both my dietition and digestive health resources, recommend getting my nutrients from veggies as they are better for your general health than grains.

FROM THE RESPONSES TO MY QUERY, IT APPEARS THAT MANY OF US ARE CONCERNED AND WISH THAT FORTIFIED GF GRAIN PRODUCTS  WERE MORE AVAILABLE. (NO ONE RESPONDED THAT THEY WERE SATISFIED WITH REFINED, UNENRICHED GF PRODUCTS.)  IMHO, THERE SHOULD BE  MORE OPTIONS THAN EITHER-WHOLE-GRAIN-BAKE-IT-YOURSELF-FOODS,  OR CONSUMING NO GRAIN PRODUCTS AT ALL, OR CONSUMING THE OMNIPRESENT REFINED-NUTRIENT-EMPTY GF FLOURS AND PRODUCTS.

BAKING WITH WHOLE GRAIN FLOURS OR ESCHEWING GRAINS ENTIRELY, WHILE FINE FOR SOME, MAY NOT BE VIABLE OPTIONS FOR THE MAJORITY.   PERHAPS FOR THE MANY OF US WHO WANT INCREASED AVAILABILITY AND VARIETY OF ENRICHED GF GRAINS AND PRODUCTS, CONSCIOUSNESS-RAISING AMONGST OURSELVES AS WELL AS NON-CELIACS, AND CONSUMER PRESSURE ON MANUFACTURERS MAY BE OUR BEST OPTIONS FOR CHANGE.

HOPEFULLY, THIS SUMMARY WILL STIMULATE FURTHER DISCUSSION. THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!

~ Beatrice