From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:25:52 -0500

CRUISING GLUTEN-FREE, AGAIN!

 Since we had such a wonderful vacation last summer cruising to Alaska, we
again booked a 12-day cruise with Holland America to countries in
Scandinavia and Baltic region, the "Russian Rhapsody" trip.  I wrote
directly to ship services in Miami with my request for a gluten-free diet
with specific details.  I followed up with a phone call to the
representative and she said she had my information and would fax it to the
ship.

 Fortunately, we had a direct flight to London's Gatwick airport. However,
we waited 21/2 hours for the bus to take us to the port at Harwich.
Unfortunately, the bus was not adequately air conditioned and the seating
was very cramped, even for me.  We couldn't wait to get on the ship.

 We were able to eat lunch on the ship right after boarding, and I chose
from the regular menu in the dining room.  I then had an appointment with
the director of food services and head chef.  They seemed to understand the
gluten-free diet. They made fresh gluten-free bread for me right on the
ship, although it had more sugar in it than I was used to!  The head chef
also showed me some of the labels of the brands they usually use, like
Hellmann's mayonnaise.  I was able to choose my next night's meal that
first night. My diet was connected to the table number and supervisor. I
was disappointed to discover the next morning that no gluten-free cereal
was available; I had to choose an omelette (eggbeaters) every day with GF
bread.   It took me a couple of days of asking too many questions to
realize that I should also choose my lunch meal a day in advance.  The
food service people tried very hard to  accommodate my needs.
I enjoyed steak, a lot of grilled fish, pork medallions, seafood appetizers,
cheese, fresh vegetables, plenty of good fruit, and ice cream!

 We were surprised and pleased that so many people abroad speak English.
The tour guides were fluent in English and imparted their knowledge about
the history, places, and art in their countries.  They were wonderful
ambassadors for their country and people.

 We had only one day of rain in Oslo, Norway.  Because of the rain and
fog we couldn't see the mountains and fjords on our route.  Weather for the
rest of the trip was party cloudy or sunny; actually, the further north we
traveled, the hotter it became.  We should have brought more short sleeves!

 We visited ports in Arhus, Denmark; Warnemunde, Germany; Stockholm,
Sweden; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Muuga (Tallinn), Estonia;
ending in Copenhagen, Denmark. We took the all-day tour to Berlin from
Warnemunde; this trip necessitated a 3-hour train trip both ways, which
facilitated nice nap time. I was repulsed by all the excessive graffiti
along the train route and in Berlin. A bus took us around the east and west
sides of Berlin, a stop at Check Point Charlie Museum, the Berlin wall (much
thinner than expected), the Charlottenburg Castle (former home of Frederick
the Great), a bombed-out, partly renovated church, the Brandenburg Gate, and
other sites.  The guide was very forthcoming in terms of telling the
historical background.

 I could ask in advance for the ship to provide a gluten-free "box
lunch" for our all-day trips.  At a couple of the tour buffets, I was able
to ask about the ingredients and thickeners, so I was able to eat a lot of
the lunch provided, rather than the box lunch. The ship's chef needs a
little more education in the box lunch department. I was given a package of
Kraft's cheese food with bread sticks - definitely not GF. But there was a
slab of GF bread with several fruits and some crackers. I did not starve.

 The highlight was seeing St. Petersburg.  We chose all-day tours to the
Peterhof and Pushkin (Catherine) Palaces; then next day to the Hermitage
Museum (Winter Palace) and Peter and Paul Fortress on the Neva River.  The
first night in St. Petersburg we donned formal clothes to go to the Yusupov
Palace (where Rasputin was killed) for a tour and then a private opera
concert in the palace's theater.  This  our was very special!  Our schedule
in St. Petersburg was full, my feet got very tired, my whole body was tired,
but the bus breaks in between the sights gave me respite. We wanted to see
everything we possibly could because no telling if or when we might be back.

 We were fortunate to travel with good friends, both of us who were
celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary!  We rejoiced together in style!

We chose different day tours, but dined together with another congenial
family from MN in the dining room. The evenings were generally spent going
to a movie (with popcorn provided) and a show.  This cruise had more
soloists rather than cast shows, which we liked better than mostly cast
shows.  We enjoyed a banjo player, pianist (both show-type and classical
music), a ventriloquist, and a female comedian-singer.

 Cruising is the way to go to see the best places, get knowledgeable
tour guides, get special dietary treatment, good entertainment, and time for
relaxation. I definitely would recommend Holland America line.  Bob and Ruth
Levy ([log in to unmask]) are in the planning stages or organizing a
gluten-free Alaskan cruise May or June of 2000. I am sure Bob will ask for
even more gluten-free items be provided for a group.  You have a real treat
in store on this cruise to Alaska - great scenery, great GF food, and
instant friends with whom to share the activities.  Don't miss it!

Janet in Houston
Celiacs Helping Celiacs