From:
Alisa Siebenga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alisa Siebenga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:34:41 -0800

NatureThanks to all who responded to my request for info on sloppy joe, spice packages.  Your responses helped one student enjoy the annual, homegoups, Christmas lunch at school.  It also helped a newly diagnosed child feel like she could live with celiac without feeling too different.  Thanks so much.
The following is a summary and some recipes:
Canned sloppy joe mixes:
    Del Monte original
    Manwich
    Heinz
    Safeway
    Hunts

Spice packages to check out:
    Mc Cormick (I did check and one of the ingredients is wheat starch.  However, the ingredients may be different in the States.)
    Super store no name Taco package (Canadian only)

Recipes for sloppy Joes

 3 pounds of ground beef, onions, celery, and then after browning and draining, add a bottle of Heinz or Del Monte or Great Value from Wal-Mart brand catsup, about 1/4 to 1/2 cups brown sugar, and about 1/4 cup yellow mustard.  French's, Plochmans, and Great Value mustard are GF.  Simmer for a bit and voila! You have sloppy joes!!!! -- Barbara in Missouri
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 T. instant minced onion (I just mince a fresh onion when I'm making it
right away - not storing it)
1 t. green pepper flakes
1 t. salt
1 t. cornstarch
1/2 t. instant minced garlic
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. celery seed
1/4 t. chili powder

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until well blended.  Spoon mixture
onto a 6" square of aluminum foil and fold to make airtight.  Label as
Sloppy Joe seasoning mix.  Store in a cool, dry place and use within 6
months.  Makes 1 package (about 3T.) of mix.

Sloppy Joes: Brown 1 lb. lean ground beef in a medium skillet over
medium-brown heat.  Drain excess grease.  Add seasoning mix, 1/2 cup water,
1 (8 oz.) can of tomato sauce and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer
10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve over toasted hamburger buns (GF of
course!) or over GF pasta or rice.  YUM!  Serves 6.

Dawn Van Olst
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
The recipe my family always used was 1 lb. ground beef, 1 onion, both fried
and chopped up.  The sauce was the Heinz relish with tomatoes in it.  It's a
little sweeter than some, but season to taste.
Susan in Ohio

Here is a easy homemade recipes:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/find/findRedir.asp?webtag=celiac&mg=B0A6BB90-A2C7-11D3-9FF3-009027CADC75

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/find/findRedir.asp?webtag=celiac&mg=0EC49003-5E63-11D5-8430-000629DE1164