From:
Kate Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kate Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 20:08:24 -0400

I have seen posts in the archives on using flex spending accounts to be
reimbursed for the cost difference between regular and GF foods, but I am
looking for some guidance as to how that is put into practice. Do you only
claim those foods that are exclusively GF (like xantham gum); or foods that
say on the packaging "GF" and are made from alternative ingredients to avoid
gluten (like "GF" waffles as opposed to regular); or do you even include
buying a certain brand just because you know it's GF and you're not positive
about others, even though they may be fine? There are certain items, like
mayonnaise, where I spend several extra dollars to buy Spectrum because I
know it's GF, even though I've heard other much cheaper brands are also GF.
If the FSA administrators questioned why I chose a brand, is the fact that
it is GF good enough, or do I need to be able to point to the brand in a GF
product listing, etc? I am sure I do not always find the cheapest available
GF option.

Thanks in advance for your insights. I am about to enroll in an FSA at a new
job and am trying to figure out how much to contribute (any advice welcome).
I have already called and found out what information I need to have my dr.
submit to have GF products covered, what receipts to submit, etc., but it
seems like there is a lot of room out there in determining what products I
should actually claim are GF.

Best,
Kate Berman
Fairfax, VA