From:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2007 18:10:16 -0500

Posted for

Samantha Smith

So sorry for the delay!!! Someone just sent me an email as to where was
my summary - here goes...

Los Cabos is beautiful! I went there with several spanish gf cards. I
had arranged most of my meals with Fiesta Americana Grand. It was a
large company convention - no one was thrilled with their meals. This
often happens when food is catered for large groups. We didn't go there
for food, but, most importantly, I did NOT get sick!!! Plain grilled
chicken, vegetables, fruits, etc. - but it was safe!

However, I did eat lunch from one of the hotel restaurants and it was
great! If you are going on your own, I believe the meals would be
fabulous. The person I had made the arrangements with, and who I highly
recommend contacting if you plan on staying at the Fiesta Americana
Grand, is Claudia Dominguez. She handled everything wonderfully!

I also ventured out twice. Once where I ate at Cabo Wabo in San Lucas. I
gave the server the spanish gf cards and he made some suggestions. I
pressed him with questions, had him check on some stuff with the chef,
had him be more cautious, but I had the best meal there during my entire
stay in Mexico! Second best, but the best I had eaten at that point in
days, was in San Jose at a restaurant called Tropicana. The waitress
made cautious suggestions, checked with the chef, but the meal was great
too!

Thank you for all the helpful responses from wonderful and sharing
listmates, as follows:

- I invested in the travel cards in spanish. They explain CD and what
restrictions it involves. We ate at the Hard Rock Café, Cabos Wabo
(twice), The Gondola, and a very expensive restaurant in the mall
downtown (don’t remember the name) and they were WONDERFUL. I didn't
have any concerns. I gave the wait staff the travel card for them to
give to the chef. They couldn't have been more help. I also would HIGHLY
recommend the food at EVERY restaurant that I mentioned.

- I have been to Mexico many times and have found GF eating to be pretty
easy, as long as you stick to the traditional foods. The biggest things
I have had to watch out for are:seasoning blends (often used in grilled
or marinated chicken- just ask the cook to see the ingredient list with
your own eyes- most are some combo of salt flour and msg) premade soup
bases- see above, plus often contain noodles. Noodles are often added to
rice dishes as well- watch out because it is so automatic that most
people don't even realize the noodles are there. Many "hole in the wall'
places are quite willing to show you the kitchen and all the stuff in
it. It is nice how few places keep a bag of flour around at all. Get
good information about the common names for wheat and other grains. Many
spanish language dining cards are free online, also many govt health
articles (eg pubmed gold, etc...) are avail. in spanish, and also you
can access google in spanish and search for celiac (its spelled the
same) and pick up some vocabulary. Be careful in general, anyone can get
travelers diarrhea. The best things you can do- Never eat anything that
has been sitting around (only eat hot food that was cooked in front of
you or at the time of your order), never eat anything raw unless you
really trust the person making it or the food comes "wrapped" (eg things
that have to be peeled like avocado or oranges etc...). Wash you your
hands frequently, (carry hand sanitizer?) so if anyone around you is
sick, you are less likely to "share" the fun. Drink out of bottles. If
you do get traveler's diarrhea, drink LOTS of water (auga mineral/ aka
mineral water) is good because it comes in bottles and is widely
available.

-I have been to Mexico three times and it if very easy to eat in Mexico.
The true Mexican cuisine is corn based. When you go the American
restaurants is when it is hard to find gf food. I always take my
restaurant card in English and Spanish. I give the card to my server and
they are always very helpful and tell me which items on the menu are gf
and they always seem to offer to make something special for me also.
They are very accommodating and I never had a problem with anything I
ate. I am very sensitive and will react to the smallest amount of gluten
within an hour.