From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:56:34 -0700

I didn't get as large a response as I expected.  [Vacations?]  Anyway, what
I did get was good stuff.  I have to agree with the person that said the
thing that helps her the most is what she learns from reading this list!
~~Valerie in Tacoma
=======
Food allergy testing & strictly avoiding reactive foods is the best way I
have to keep myself well.  I found a naturopath that ordered the tests.
INsurance doesn't pay for it, but who cares?  It gave me my life back, so it
was worth every penny.
=======
Six years of living strictly gluten-free and soy-free cleared up: daily IBS
with weight loss, goiter, skin rash, heartburn, severe fatigue with joint
pain.

Still, some problems lingered: Some bloating/gas/malabsorption [not as acute
as pre-GF but still noticeable and unpredictable]. visual migraines,
headaches, sinus pain, arthritis, low energy, abdominal pain with some
heartburn, fragile nails, burning tongue, low energy, low ferritin levels,
low B vitamin levels, high blood pressure.

I was tested for food allergies in June and discovered I am highly allergic
to casein and whey and goat milk [all dairy, basically], eggs, peanuts, tree
nuts, most legumes, chicken, soy, coconut, lemon, papaya, pineapple,
avocado, alfalfa, sunflower seeds, flax seed, ginger, turmeric, mustard, and
few more.

I went totally free of these additional foods and have been making BIG leaps
in my progress.
Stomach pain and bloating are gone; digestion improved, stomach is flat
[yay!]. Migraines and headaches gone, energy level increasing, sleeping
better, no sinus congestion. My nails are strong. My blood pressure has
lowered.

I suggest celiacs get tested for food allergies - I chalked up my lingering
symptoms to cross contamination issues. Looking back I wish I had realized
it was other foods - due to years of leaky gut - and those allergies kept my
immune system on high alert. I still have some inflammation in my gut and
tests showed I still have trouble digesting fat. Casein allergy is famous
for this.

After six years GF - I am making progress again.

k a r i n a  http://painterskitchen.blogspot.com
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com
=======
... I was diagnosed in 1975. At that time Celiac was little known by the
medical profession and the public.  The internet and this list has been a
life saver for me.  The wealth of information, recipes, and problems that
others have faced have assured me that I am not the only one coping with
this gluten intolerance and how fortunate that I am that my reactions are
not as severe as many on this list.  Sandy
=======
Since I am not sensitive I haven't had a single problem in 11 years.  I have
DH, CD and T-1 diabetes.  I started on a MiniMed pump July 29th and that is
the best thing that's happened yet.   Charlie in SC
=======
1st problem: chills, brain fog, no energy
solution:allergy testing, stopped eating shrimp, lobster, crab
Finding a doctor for food allerlgies

2nd problem: severe stomach cramps, bloating, severe pain after eating, dry
scaly eyelids, purple under eyes, lupus on face.
solution: finding doctor(British) that knew cd. put on 6 month food
elimination diet. Stopped eating bread, buns, rolls, cookies,learned to cook
with GF flours

3rd problem: racing heart, face and neck flushed, itchy all over, bleeding
into the eyes
solution: same British doctor said that I was nearly diabetic with increased
carbs in my diet. Went
on low carb Diet and all those symptoms went away.
Reading and researching to  put all of the information together over a
period of 6 years to learn to avoid gluten, wheat, rye, barley and food
allergies to shrimp, lobster, crab and sulfa meds as well by trial and
error.

4th  problem: learning to live with this condition, eat at home and eat out.
solution.found new ways of cooking and stopped old ways and foods. Stopped
eating at most places, or found ways to adapt to their foods on their menu.
finding out how to read lables, avoid gluten et el, find restaurants that
knew what I was talking about when I mentioned a gluten problem
=======
Daily headaches during spring & summer.  Eliminated as many allergenic foods
as I could from my diet, but the problem persisted.  I finally found that
taking 1/2 Actifed daily controls symptoms.  Who knew it could be so simple?
=======
(1) Problem:  Chronic constipation that didn't respond to ANY diet changes.
Solution:  Daily senna based laxative (Walgreens store brand.)
Resources: Good book: Why I Can't Go, Christopher Larhs MD.
(2) Problem:  Widespread aches & pains, especially in feet, very tender
(fibrocyctic) breasts, frequent vaginitis.
Solution:  Reducing oxalates in my diet by eliminating highest oxalate foods
(corn & sesame). And taking calcium citrate w/ two meals a day.  (I take
iron with one meal a day to prevent iron defiiciency because calcium blocks
absorption of iron)
Resources:  Many lists of oxalate content of foods can be found on the web.
=======

*******
*******