From:
Liz Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 13:25:15 +0100

Hello all,

I normally use GF mixes for baking rather than having to mix individual GF
flours.  I usually keep my mother-in-law supplied with a packet of GF mix as
she likes to have something baked for me when I visit.

However, when she ran out recently she couldn't find any in her local
supermarket and bought brown rice flour in the health food shop instead.
When I visited she had made a sponge as a base for a trifle with the brown
flour directly substituted into a non-GF recipe and it turned out fine.

I thought this wasn't possible and that you had to mix different types of
such flours in appropriate proportions to get decent results when baking.

My first question therefore is: Is GF baking less complicated than I thought
and can I just use brown rice flour as a replacement for non-GF flour in
most recipes?

Secondly: I remember seeing somewhere that some rice flours go off very
quickly.  Is there an issue with storage of brown rice flour?  Should I
suggest she puts it in the fridge or freezer?

I'd be interested to learn from all you more experienced GF bakers out
there!

Best GF wishes,
Liz Ward, Dublin, Ireland