From:
The Zelinski's <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Zelinski's <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:53:27 -0600

Here are the general responses that I received to my question regarding whether modified food starch contained gluten.

It used to cover a wide range of food starches but now it means it must be corn starch or say whatever else it is, as modified wheat starch.  If you have a very old package of something it could mean anything but the new government regulations call for more precise labeling.  Hooray!!

Modified food starch can be made from corn- or wheat-derived starch. I've
been given to understand that in this country it is generally from corn,
but it doesn't have to be. Some manufacturers have begun to label the
starch source. If it isn't labeled, the only way you can tell is by
contacting the manufacturer.

it could be.  you need to contact the manufacture for the source.  more fun
for Celica's!

Most modified food starch in the US is made from corn or potatoes.  Be
careful of modified food starch listed on things like prepackaged meats with
gravy even though they do not list wheat.  Hopefully the new labeling laws
will pass and we will not have to worry about the source of modified food
starch.  It will then be listed as to what source.

You have to check with the manufacturer.  Most of the time, the modified food starch is made from corn, but it can also be made from wheat.

Modified Food Starch is a red flag....you need to find the source from the
mfr.  It could be wheat, but it may be gf, like potato starch.  Must be
checked out.

In summary it sounds like the only way to know for sure is to contact the manufacturer.

Valerie Zelinski