From:
Phyllis Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phyllis Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:56:59 -0800

Hi:  I rarely read Dear Abby, but this article caught my eye:  "Avoid Nutty
Mary, and her casseroles".  Here are some excerpts from the article which
could very well apply to people with our disease:  "Six ladies got together
to celebrate birthdays - they were in their 50s and 60s.  They all knew one
of the ladies had an allergy to nuts, and eating even one could cause a
violent reaction.  Therefore, she always asked if nuts were in any of the
dishes that were being served? One of the ladies served a beautiful
casserole.  When she asked her if there were nuts in it, she said "Of course
not - I know you're allergic".  Just before they sat down to eat, one of the
other ladies told her there were nuts in the casserole.  When she confronted
the lady that made the casserole and asked if it was true, she laughed and
replied, "This so-called allergy is all in your head and I was going to do
you a favor by proving it to you today".
What a sad story - if the lady that put the nuts in the casserole had the
same reaction as the lady that was allergic, she would think twice.  Most
people don't think we are sick because we don't have a splint on or
something.  I wish they would be sick for 3 or 4 days after getting hidden
gluten or cross contamination, and then they would know, it's not all in our
heads.  Thank you for letting me get this off my chest.  Phyllis - Ohio