From:
Misty Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:51:29 -0800

Thanks to all who so generously responded to my request for information about a Celiac diet while in the the UCSD Thornton Hospital.  I have listeded the responses below.

Many responded that you must always be vigilant in a hospital situation, and some suggested that you always bring all of your own food.

Thornton is the absolute country club of all hospitals in existence.  Of course, that doesn't answer your question as regards gluten.  The Warren Center for Celiac Research is at UCSD School of Medicine about 2 blocks away.  As your time draws nearer, contact one of us in the San Diego Celiac Support Group and we can give you the names of some folks there who may help you in keeping the hospital staff honest, GF-ly speaking.  If you don't have a significant other to come with you, one or some of us can help check on you and keep the staff honest.  (Talk about generosity and hospitality!)

Maybe you can stock up on Glutino, etc frozen dinners?

Hospital kitchens are set up assembly-line fashion.  Even if they
don't put a roll on your tray, the tray is passed along the
assembly-line past the roll-and-bread station, handled by the worker
who has flour dust on his/her hands, and there will be flour dust in
the area.  Watch out for everything.  When I was in the surgery recovery room and barely conscious, the nurse wanted to give me a lozenge to keep my
mouth moist (I could not drink anything at that point).  No family
members around :-(  But I was just alert enough to ask her if it was
GF.  She went to check, and came back to say that it wasn't.  So no
lozenge. I wish hospitals would take GF as seriously as other allergies.  I
also am latex sensitive.  The hospital put up big signs about this in
my room and out side my door.  They even stationed a cart in the
hallway with all kinds of latex-free supplies.  But they can't handle
GF.  (I must say, I had a laparoscopy done at this hospital...outpatient...in Dec, and there were NO latex gloves in sight.  Only purple (nitrile?) gloves were in the room.  I was impressed!)

Have the hospital Dietitian go to www.celinalfoods.com  I have made a
hospital Foodservice kit up- on particular interest for you will be the
individually packaged broth Mix to assure they are gluten free.
Ronni Alicea RD
908-704-7017

I would contact the Wm. K. Warren Medical Center, also at UCSD as they are a Celiac Research Center.  http://celiaccenter.ucsd.edu/aboutcdadults.shtml
They should be able to help provide information to the dietician at your hospital.

Call the hospital and ask to talk to the dietician.  Whatever experience someone may have had six months ago may not be accurate now.
And be careful.

Thanks again to all.  I feel better now!

Misty