From:
Susan C Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 18:21:54 -0500

Hello Listmates,
  I have been a part of this listserve for a month, but have not submitted
anything yet.  I was reading the comment on being beware of hospital food
and thought I should comment on it.
  I am a dietetic intern at the University of Kansas Medical Center.  I
have been working quite a bit with the GI area and have fallen in love
with working with patients with GI disorders.  Celiac Sprue has become a
area I am learning so much about. I have become the "expert" dietitian
here on that subject.  I have to admit, that most dietitians do not know
much about the disease.  It takes alot of work to keep up on the diet and
treatment and most dietitians don't have the time.  I am wanting to
specialize in GI disorders and especially Celiac Sprue.  I have gotten to
work with 4 patients already and am learning more every day as I resarch,
read, and talk with patients.
  I also know what you all are going through when you have to be carefull
of hospital food!  That has been one of my main projects is to go through
all the foods we have available and make a list of  gluten free foods.  It
has been a long process for sure!  Many people have no idea of the disease
so have to explain the gluten thing over and over!  I have worked with all
kinds of people here to plan a good menu for our celiac patients that is
gluten free. We have ordered in some things from Dietary Specialites and
other companies.  I am also doing an inservice for the diet techs and
other health professionals that will deal with celiac patients.
   I would appreciate any comments on how to best deal with celiac
patients.  I am wanting to learn what you guys have done that works.
Also, when you have been in the hospital how has the hospital handled it?
I just wanted to let you all know that there are hospitals that are trying
to work for their celiac patients.  Also, I would appreciate it if you
could let me know of dietitians you have found that are knowledgeble in
gluten free diets!
  Sorry, this got long.  Seems I had alot to say. Thanks for all your
help.  I think the best way for me to learn is to talk with you all.

Susan Shea