From:
Diane Wider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:10:11 +1000

Hi there

Someone told me the other day that their younger brother had been diagnosed
as coeliac at 2 years of age and had improved greatly on a gluten free
diet.  However, when he was 21 he found out he actually had some kind of
amoeba and wasn't coeliac after all.  For some reason the gluten free diet
had helped with his symptoms.  He was given injections to clear the amoeba
from his system and can now safely sample all those foods that were
forbidden for so many years!

I don't have all the details because I was at a party and didn't want to
get into all the gory medical details.  But I am assuming that the initial
diagnosis at 2 years of age was not from biopsies.

Just thought this was food for thought for those who are debating whether
or not to bother getting biopsies done.

Regards,
Diane, Australia