From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 09:46:34 -0500

My sister-in-law is a nurse and is violently opposed to immunizing her
two daughters.  She refused to do so, and the school simply made her
sign a statement saying that she was against immunizations and would not
be immunizing her child.  One daughter has graduated and the other is
in 10th or 11th grade.  Neither has ever been immunized.

I am not quite as extreme.  I had my daughters immunized for DPT,
polio, mumps and measles but I refused to have them immunized against
german measles (rubella) on the grounds that I would prefer them to
get German measles and obtain life-long immunity rather than having
to undergo titering and G.M. booster shots during the entirety of
their childbearing years.  In my case, the school also made me sign
a statement of my refusal.  They further advised me that, if there
was ever an outbreak of G.M., my daughters would be forbidden to
attend that school.

One of my daughters is now a senior and the other is a sophomore.
We have had no problems so far but my oldest daughter will be required
to submit proof of immunization boosters this year, and I suspect
we'll go through the whole refusal routine again.

BTW, the most difficult part of refusing GM immunization has been
finding a doctor/health dept. that will provide the measles and mumps
vaccine separate from the rubella vaccine.  It seems that these shots
are usually given as a 3-in-one shot deal.

 BJ