From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:36:44 -0500

My, my...we all know how to get on our bad side!!  Here's what I sent to Ms. Truss' agent and
publicity manager:

What a shame that a talented, cleaver writer such as Lynne Truss has taken on the role as diet police.
I'm sure her extensive medical background places her in a position of importance regarding such
issues as gluten free diets and gives her the right to put down an expanding population that
REQUIRES food that doesn't make them sick.  She, however, may wish to know that for many people,
my eight-year-old son included, a strict adherence to a gluten-free diet is a must.

Ms. Truss would do well to stick with what she knows (I found her book Eats, Shoots & Leaves very
funny and enlightening), and leave the medical advice to those who know something about the
subject.  If she needs first hand knowledge about Celiac Disease, she is welcome to sit by my son's
side next time he accidentally ingests something made from wheat, barley or rye and tend to him
while he vomits for the following two hours.  She'll get a break when he finally collapses on the
bathroom floor out of sheer exhaustion and sleeps for another two hours.  Perhaps, in reality, she's
happy not to have to follow this diet (don't we wish we could ALL be in her shoes), but there's no
need to make light or little of it for the growing number of people who have no choice.