From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 13:21:05 -0700

Very quick response to all, since I was asked to summarize.  I actually had
more than 20 responses to date and I'm ending here.  For responses that come
in after this, if they come to only me that is where they will stop since I
will not be summarizing again.

What I want to clarify is that I wasn't expecting my husband and other kids
to give up wheat.  Most of our meals are GF anyway, except for the ones that
are too expensive to be GF for the entire family ie. spaghetti.  It's times
like making schnitzel, bread pork cutlet, that he expects me to make some GF
and some not-GF.  These are made with dipping the cutlet into flour, then
egg, then breadcrumbs.  First I do not keep regular flour in the house and
second forget it.  And the kids do not mind what we eat, they actually like
my GF mac & cheese better than theirs, the always try my buns, breads, etc
and give me the ratings.

Now here's the reponses.

1)  Meat, potatoes or rice, veggies, ie mainly food items that are good for
both GF and non-GF diets. Breads, buns, pastas will be different.

2) Depending on the split some responses were the whole family eats GF for
most meals.

3) Some "wheat-eaters" did the wheat-eating out of the house, ie dining out,
at the office, etc.  to get their favorite wheat treats, ie. donuts.

4) Tell husband to "get over it", cook the meals for everyone himself, go
out once a week to eat wheat, cook the meals for him and the 2 non-gf kids, etc.

5) Some found out of habit they do not do pasta much anymore cause it's 1)
too expensive to be all GF or 2) takes too many pots/strainers to do two meals.

6) Most people found that things worked out in the long run, (mines been two
years now), and that most people have a blend of meals because of family
size, ie more than a couple/three people in a family.

Anyway thanx for all the responses and I'll keep on trucking and trying some
of your suggestions.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada