From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

Janet <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I was wondering if any of you had a dessert recipe with no sugar.

Here is a recipe we have used before and enjoyed.  There is no added
sugar, though the dates are naturally sweet.  It comes from "Basic
Rice Recipes", a pamphlet from the USA Rice Council, PO Box 740121,
Houston, TX  77274:

                  DELECTABLE DATE MUFFINS

1-1/2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 Tbsp. GF baking powder
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 eggs -OR- 4 egg whites -OR- 1/2 cup frozen GF egg substitute, thawed
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 Tbsp. grated orange peel (optional)
1 cup chopped pitted dates

Combine the dry ingredients (the first six) in a large bowl.

Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, oil, juice concentrate, and orange
peel in a medium bowl.  Stir in the dates.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.  Pour in the liquid
mixture and stir to combine.  Spoon the batter into lightly greased
muffin cups.  Use the back of a wet spoon to smooth the muffin tops.

Bake at 425 degrees F for 18-20 minutes.  Place the muffins onto a wire
rack to cool.

Jim Lyles ........ <[log in to unmask]> ........ Holly, Michigan, USA