From:
Anne Rickaby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:40:40 -0500

Hello Ian [and other list members.]

I am so dismayed to see that you received the nasty email. I hope you
didn't take it personally.

There are a couple of obvious points (for the benefit of the anonymous
sender of the email):

1) Labels don't necessarily tell the whole story.
2) Manufacturing practices also have to be taken into account.

More than that, contacting companies is a means of educating them. They
want to sell their products to as many people as possible. They can't know
that a segment of the population can't use their products unless we tell
them. And if we tell them why, they may determine at some point that it's
worth their while to change their ingredients.

One final thought for the individual that sent the email. Your
correspondence was abrasive and confrontational. If you've contacted food
manufacturers with that same tone, it's no wonder you believe they don't
want to be bothered.

Anne