From:
Bob & Carol Child <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob & Carol Child <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 08:48:58 -0600

Dear List Members,
   Thank you again for coming to my rescue.  I had many responses.  All
were very supportive.  A few people had serious problems with HRT and
have given it up, many were happy with the results of taking it, but all
just advised to research the subject and then make an informed decision.

    Estratest and Prometrium are gluten free, which was my question, but
I got so much more from the replies.
    Below are a few of the products taken by others that are also gluten
free:
       Menorest patch
       Combi-patch (estrogen & progesterone)
       Prempro
       Estraderm (applied topcially)
        Loestrin
       Activella
       Premarin
       Kliogest
       natural Progesterone cream from health food store and other
natural cream applied topically
       Estriol and natural Progesterone (both can be purchased from a
compounding pharmacy)
       Premphase
       Ortho Prefest
    One woman built bone by 7% with just natural supplements.  Several
people suggested walking, other exercise, calcium supplements,
magnesium, Vit. D.  Two people though boron would help (that is
something I had also heard and plan to try).  One person takes Silica
Plus (a natural product to increase bone density).  One suggested Dr.
Joseph Mercola's diet (I'm not familiar with it and haven't had a chance
to look it up, but I plan to.)
   Two web sites were suggested:
      Gluten and Medications
       rxlist.com
   Books suggested:
      "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause" by John R.
Lee, M.D., with Virginia
            Hopkins
      "Preventing and Reversing Osteoporosis" by Alan Gaby
      "The Bone Density Diet:  6 Weeks to a Super Body and Mind" by
George J. Kessler with
             Colleen Kapklein
      "The New Menopausal Years" by Suzun Weed
   I will take the Estratest for a month, but I do plan to do more
research.  What I had wanted to take in the first place was Estriol and
natural Progesterone from a compounding pharmacy, but my doctor wasn't
familiar with those products and didn't seem too interested in learning
more.  That is probably the direction I will go after doing more
research.  I am anxious to read the suggested books before making a
final decision.
   Thanks again.
        Carol