From:
Cecilia McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cecilia McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:05:59 -0600

I have condensed the posts if anyone would like the full array of responses you can send me your e-mail address and I will send it out to you.

Date 02/24/04

I contacted the lab which reportedly tested the Deland Millet Bread and this was the reply:

Dear Dr. Tomei,

I cannot comment to any specific test results that may have been conducted by our analytical services as those are confidential.

However, if we were to test for the presence of gluten in bread it would generally be done with an ELISA test that detects wheat gliadin proteins and would report as approximately 10% or above in an overloaded test result. This test also detects durum wheat at ~0.04%, triticale and rye at ~0.02%, barley at ~0.4%, but will not detect oats, rice, or maize.

If you have other questions about our testing procedures you can contact Bryan Glaser, General Laboratory Supervisor, at deleted

Regards,

Brian

Date 02/27/2004

Today I tested the Deland Millet Potato bread with the Elisa-tek home gluten test kit (www.elisa-tek.com) and it tested "positive" for gluten.

I cannot speculate as to why, since none of the ingredients contain apparent gluten, unless the flour is being contaminated at the source.

I am very disturbed and upset by this, since both of my children have been eating 2 slices of this bread every day for the past 1 1/2 years, with gradual improvement in their bowel movements.

I can't rest my hopes that this result is a false positive.

I'm going to test every other processed food in my pantry--luckily there aren't many (the kits cost $80 for 5 tests).

Nina

Date 04/05/04

In 2002-2003 people on the St. John's list told one another it was GF.

Here is a quote, "Deland's bakery maintains that it is in fact gluten free." (Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:22:35)

March 2003 "Deland Bakery has told people that their millet bread is gluten free. As I mentioned before, it is not on the printed label. My concern is cross contamination, as they also bake wheat bread."

Clearly some people were told that Deland Bread was GF. I'm no lawyer. Could the historical e-mails be used to help "convict" them, or would this just be considered "hear say?"

Cecilia, TX

*******
*******