From:
Irma R DeBruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 23:52:08 -0500

Recently I went to a new food store Wild Harvest that opened in the Boston
area.  They are making an effort to be friendly to celiacs and are puting up
cards stating that a food is gluten free.

They are identifying certain cereals made by New Morning of Acton, MA as
gluten free.  I was happy to see some new items so I picked one up and to my
surprise, they listed an ingredient FruitrimTm, which was described on the
box as containing fruit juices and grain products.  I called this to the
attention of the manager and stated that we couldn't buy any unspecified
grain products as gluten free.  I spoke to the manufacturer who said that the
product was gluten free because the manufacturer of FruitrimTM " treats the
grain to remove the sprue" He said that he didn't have a statement about the
grains used.  He said that the manufacturer did issue a statement that said
that people with severe sensitivities to certain fruits and grains should
avoid the product.  We later called the manufacturer of Fruitrim.  He said
the product didn't contain gluten but didn't volunteer to send us anything in
writing as to the gluten free status.  He said that Pamela's cookies used it
and Energy Foods used it.  I haven't called these companies yet.  I did a
search and found some information on the Food Technology Magazine home page.
FruitrimTM was described as containing fruit juice and natural grain
dextrins.

I know that Pamela makes some cookies that are gluten free and some that are
not.  Do the ones that are gluten free contain Fruitrim ?  Does anyone know
about FruitrimTM?  I am concerned that an unspecified grain based product is
being advertised as gluten free.  The manufacturer appears to be
LSI/Specialty Products of Oakland, CA.  510-428-7108.  I do not think that
the box stated that the product was gluten free.  Both the manufacturer of
the cereal and the FruitrimTM stated the product was gluten free. (on the
phone)

The manufacturer of FruitrimTM said that ingredient information was
proprietory.
--
Irma in Massachusetts