From:
Heather Ribaudo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Ribaudo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 09:46:15 -0400

I few weeks ago I posed a question regarding celiac disease and spleen
damage. My question arose after I was hospitalized (in intensive care)
twice in 5 months for pneumoccal sepsis that after extensive immunologic
testing has been blamed on a poor spleen function. I am sorry it has taken
me so long to summarize. On a personal note that is a good thing as it
comes as a result of me being back at work and being very busy.

Thank you for the many responses and best wishes that I recieved. Many
people were concerned that I get on, and stick very carefully, to a gluten
free diet. Those of you will be glad to know that I have in fact been
gluten free and careful since the end of July when the likelihood of a
celiac diagnosis first came to light (about a month before my biopsy that
confirmed the diagnosis). As a result, I am feeling better than I have in
years, I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight and my stomach is flatter than
ever before in my life! My husband is also loving the fact the I have much
less gas!

As the following link sets out very clearly, spleen damage caused by
Celiac is a very real thing (the link in fact almost describes my
situation exactly!)
http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw192505.asp?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Several other relevant articles include:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12801038

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=-1825243106

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10360997

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10891750

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10022635

A couple of people refered me to Peter Green at NYC who has spoken in the
past about hyposplenism in Celiac disease. Apparently he often suggests
that newly diagnosed celiacs be vaccinated for the types of infections
that have plagued me over the last few months.
It was also noted that although real, the connection is not well
recognized in the medical community (my gastroenterologist had never heard
of it when I mentioned it to him).

Several people gave me information suggesting that, like many immune
issues related to celiac, I should see an improvement on a GF diet. The
following reference perhaps gives the most concrete evidence for this:
Splanchnic haemodynamics in patients with coeliac disease: effects of a
gluten-free diet.
Magalotti D, Volta U, Bonfiglioli A, Ramilli S, Berzigotti A, Zoli M.
BACKGROUND: Coeliac disease is characterized by structural and functional
changes in the small bowel which may also result in haemodynamic changes.
AIMS: To establish whether splanchnic haemodynamics can be modified by a
gluten-free diet. PATIENTS: Ten coeliac patients and 10 paired healthy subjects.
METHODS: Echo-Doppler measurements were made of splanchnic vessels both fasting and
after a standard meal before and after 9 months of a gluten-free diet.
RESULTS: In comparison to controls, coeliac patients had higher superior mesenteric
artery blood velocity and flow, with lower resistance indexes and higher
portal vein velocity and flow, particularly 3 h after a meal. Postprandial
hyperaemia was reduced and delayed in time. Intrasplenic resistance
indexes were also significantly lower both fasting and after a meal. After
9 months of a gluten-free diet, no significant differences were observed
between coeliac patients and controls, both fasting and after a meal.
CONCLUSIONS: Splanchnic haemodynamics is significantly changed in coeliac
patients, mainly after a meal. On treatment with a gluten-free diet, both
fasting and postprandial haemodynamics became normal.

Other comments:
"It is known that for those with celiac, that gluten added to their blood
in a test tube turns off "natural killer cells".  Ie, their immune system
goes down.  also, there is a lot of "IGA deficiency" in celiacs, which is
also associated with some immune problems."

"I have immune response neutropenia.  That means my immune system
(overactive which causes my coeliac) is also destroying my white blood
cells.  I have very low neutrofils (not sure how you spell that) but its a
part of your white blood cells. So my immune response to infections is
weak and I have to take a lot of antibiotics."

Several people also told personal stories of being themselves plagued with
infections that had improved dramatically after becoming GF.

Many people recommended various supplements in particular, a supplement
called Adrenal Support formula taken to boost a damaged thyroid system
apparently also contains something called spleen extract that seemed quite
intriguing.

Finally, I will finish with a plug for my favorite GF bread - Manna from
Anna (glutenevolutions.com). I was at a loss for good bread when I first
started on this diet and thought I would never enjoy an untoasted sandwich
again. I was wrong. This bread bakes up wonderfully, and tastes great
either as toast or just as regular sandwich; Anna's customer service is
also fabulous (I have no financial connection).

Heather
         0__
        c/ /'_

Heather Ribaudo, PhD
Center for Biostatistics in AIDS Research
Harvard School of Public Health

FXB Building Rm 509 - telephone (617) 432-2897
                            fax (617) 432-3163
http://biosun1.harvard.edu/~hbeacon/