From:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:06:43 -0500

Greetings!

The consensous seemed more of personal preference.  I do appreciate those who shared the brands they liked and descriptions/prices of them.  Hope you enjoy the information as much as I did. Maybe both would be good? Who knows.
 Diane, Iowa

I just had the "fortune" of having my passable toaster let go of a
big electrical arc, making me afraid to ever use it again.

So, I went toaster shopping, and I got lucky.  I bought a Hamilton
Beach Classic Chrome, and it seems to have a lot of very nice
features for GF toasting.

http://hamiltonbeach.com/kitchen_appliances/cooking/toasters_2_slice/22559.html<http://hamiltonbeach.com/kitchen_appliances/cooking/toasters_2_slice/22559.html>

For one thing, it grabs even the thinnest slice of bread and holds it
firmly during the toasting process.  It has a defrost cycle (which is
very handy for me, since I find I have to keep many of my GF breads
frozen, or they get moldy).  It also has a little booster lever, so
you can boost up shorter pieces of toast to grab out of the box.
Also, don't know if you have this problem, but I usually like to send
my toast through more than one cycle, because even on dark, it
doesn't toast my GF breads adequately.  My previous toaster required
that I let the coils cool a bit before sending it through again --
but on this one, you can just punch it right back down and it keeps
cooking.  It also toasts very evenly and very well.

I got it a couple of weeks ago, and I still look forward to having
toast each day -- it's as though I've been deprived of a really good
piece of toast forever!

 I paid $29 for it at Fry's, which is an electronics
retailer in our area.  I think it sells on amazon.com for around $30
or so.  I didn't know anything about the little squeeze wires that
close up to hold the bread until I bought it.  You'd think it would
be a selling point!

I would definitely choose a toaster oven over a toaster.  Some products tend
to break easily/crumble & they are a lot easier to retrieve from a toaster
oven.  Plus a toaster oven is so nice to cook/reheat small servings in.  I
don't know that you need to buy a specific brand.  Mine toasts/broils/bakes.
I love it.  Use it daily!

I am very happy with the Cuisinart 4-slice pop up toaster that I bought a few months ago for $30 at Costco.  It is like 2 toasters in one with duel controls for each pair of slots.  I keep one side marked for gluten free breads. Each pair of slots has its own removable crumb tray so the chance of cross contamination is minimal.  It has a defrost setting that is very useful with g.f. breads since we keep most things frozen until use (at least I do.)  The slots are wide enough for an Einstein's sized bagel, or the Glutino g.f. version.  There is also a lift-up function that works well for small pieces of bread.  However, I also keep a small pair of wooden tongs for this purpose too.  Obviously, it doesn't have the versatility of a toaster oven, but we weren't really using ours for much more than toasting and cooking the occasional hot dogs.  I find the pop up toaster works much better for simply toasting than our toaster oven did.

We have had a toaster oven since my son was diagnosed.  It's just easier to keep clean, and very handy for making pizza with slices of bread, a snack which he likes to have often.  You just toast the bread, top with sauce, cheese, etc., then put on the tray that comes with the toaster oven and heat until the cheese browns.

We have a Black & Decker toaster oven, and we're on our fourth one.  The first one lasted for almost ten years, then the heating element bent (overheated?) and we tried flipping the bread over to toast the other side for a while, then bought a new one.  That one lasted for less than a year when the same thing happened, so the company sent us a new one, or a refurbished one, and again, less than a year later it happened again.  They sent us a new oven again, and we've had this oven for a few months.  I would say that if there is another brand besides Black & Decker available, maybe you should try that brand.  It's a hassle to replace these every year, even if there's no cost to us, but the toaster oven is so nice to have.

We only own a toaster oven--no toaster in the house.  I can
comfortably toast my son's GF breads on a rack that I can easily
remove for cleaning after I've used it for regular breads.  It has an
additional plus in that I can bake small items for him (not to
mention baked potatoes, etc. for all of us) without heating our large
oven.  When you live in the desert SW, this is important!!!  Ours is
a Krups and I've been pretty satisfied with it.

I ended up buying a toaster oven yesterday.
I got tired of the ryeless "rye" sending chunks to the bottom
of the toaster, under the springs.

Toaster ovens are larger than they used to be, unless
Walgreens has a 2-slice. They are 4-slice and 6-slice.
I don't have room for the 6-slice that bakes/broils a size small
(not individual - regular Small) pizza, meaning it would probably
do the Amy's GF pizza.

I bought a 4-slice GE at Wal Mart. Stainless steel and black.
Curve front - huge, curved front viewing window that slides up
to open it. Slower than a toaster, but no crumbling problems.

Made GF bagels in it today. Ran me $29 + for the toaster oven.

We use it for all kinds of items when preparing breakfast at our gluten free
Bed and Breakfast.

We bought and returned two other toaster ovens before we decided on this
one.  We like the kind with two racks because you can actually toast on both
racks at the same time.   It also will keep something warm until ready to
serve, and has a bake, or grill  choice.

 It is a Euro-Pro Convection Toaster Oven, Model TO289 and I got mine
 at Target.  There is probably a newer model by now.  It was about $40.00.
Try it, you'll love it!

I use a Sanyo "Super Toasty Oven,"  which works very well.