From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:10:41 -0700

Yes, I am having good success with them. I takeUltraplan Digestive Aid
from Hihealth. I only take one a day and never have problem with burning
at all.(I did have burning when I took more than one at a time, or one
with each meal) It  has eliminated my use of Zantac, Gaviscon and other
antiacids and stomach is never upset anymore-no more GERD's at night
either.... I have to say that going gf did me a lot of good, but the HCL
with pancreatic enzymes did the rest. It is soooo nice, not to have all
of the stomach and digestion problems that I have had all my life. My
digestion is probably about like a normal person's now unless I have an
accidental ingestion. Best wishes to you in this. --HH.
---------
I use any of the following Betaine HCl products without any problems:
* TwinLab Betaine HCl (648 mg Betaine HCl, 135 mg Pepsin(1:10000))
* Solaray HCL with Pepsin (650 mg Betaine HCl, 162 mg Pepsin(1:10000))
* NOW Betaine HCl (648mg Betaine HCl, 150 mg Pepsin(1:10000))
(These are 10 grain capsules.)
The recommended dose per meal depends on your condition and the size and
content of the meal.  One method of determining your dose is outlined
here:
http://www.villaparkpharmacy.com/abs10.htm
"Determining the proper dosage of HCI for your individual need may be
accomplished in the following manner according to Dr. Wright: On three
consecutive mornings take one, then two, then three betaine hydrochloric
acid tablets on an empty stomach. If you have no bad reactions, then take
one or two before each meal for a week and see how your digestion feels.
If it is better, you can safely assume that your stomach has not been
producing enough acid for proper digestion. There are some possible bad
reactions, for example. heartburn, worse gas, pain in the stomach,
anything associated with a gastrointestinal symptom. If the betaine
hydrochloride tablets hurt, do not take any more. You can neutralize the
reaction with milk or baking soda in water. Remember too, that aspirin or
aspirin- containing compounds or anti-inflammatory drugs such as indocin,
butazolidin, or cortisone should never be taken when hydrochloric acid is
being used. This combination increases the risk of ulcer.

Dr. Wright's experience over several years with hundreds of patients with
hypochlorhydria has yielded the following dose variability: "A few
persons require as little as 5 to 10 grains of betaine hydrochloride with
each
meal. Others may need as much as 50 to 60 grains. The right dose can be
estimated but has to be finally adjusted by trial and error. The correct
dose of betaine hydrochloride is that which improves nutrient absorption
significantly, not the symptom relief dose.""

I take one to four Betaine HCl capsules per meal depending on the size
and content of the meal.  I also spread the capsules out through the meal
rather than take them all at once.  You will have to determine your
specific dose needs through trial and experience.

Thorne's Bio-Gest contains pancreatin and ox bile, sources of protease
enzymes.  Taking a significantly large dose of protease enzymes can cause
a "protease burning" sensation in the stomach or abdomen, especially when
first starting out taking enzyme supplements.  I don't know how many
Bio-Gest capsules you are consuming.  One or two capsules per day
shouldn't be a significant problem, but more could contain enough
protease to cause you discomfort.  After a time (weeks to months) your
system will tolerate higher levels of protease.  When I first took enzyme
supplements, I had the protease burning problem.  I use Enzymedica
products which offer a choice of different enzyme formulations.  Though I
can now take very high doses of
protease without the burning sensation (this took 2 months of enzyme
use), I find that high levels of protease cause a feeling of bowel
restriction and constipative discomfort in my rectal region.  I now take
just one
Enzymedica Carbo capsule per meal, which is a formula high in amylase
enzymes with only a modest amount of protease, and I have no problems
with this formula and dose.  Enzymes had an immediate effect of stopping
the acquisition of new food allergies and reversing some food allergies I
had recently acquired.  Now using Betaine HCl and probiotics in addition
to enzymes, I hope to eliminate all food intolerances, digestive
discomfort
and fatigue.  There have been some early indications of improvement in my
overall health while on these supplements, but I need to see long term
and consistant improvement before I declare any victories.

Rather than a combination product like Bio-Gest, I suggest you use
separate products for HCl and enzyme supplementation so that you can
adjust formulas and doses to suit your specific needs.  -ROY

[THIS LIST IS THE GREATEST THING SINCE PLASTIC BAGS!!]

LOVE YOU ALL, VALERIE IN TACOMA,WA

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.