From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 16:24:38 -0700

I have an unusual request.  I have a friend who's daughter has displayed several symptoms of celiac for 1-2 years now.  Like my own pediatrician, she had a hard time getting her pediatrician to test her daughter for it.  When he did (twice) he said that it was positive for celiac.  I had a couple of pediatric gastro's I wanted her to go see, but a friend of hers was able to get her in to one (that I hadn't heard of) quickly.  He had an intern and a nurse come in to ask her questions.  In the end, he came in and quickly said that her daughter doesn't have celiac.  "It's probably irritable bowel symptom."  He then recommended something like citracal.  I'm not sure if that's the right name, but it's like Metamucil.  Her daughter still has floating stools, sometimes yellow, etc.

Her husband came away from the gastro saying that's all they need to hear.  The doctor's right and that's that.  I was hoping that a few of you could write to me your experiences with "gastros" in particular not correctly diagnosing you or a loved one.  I know I have read stories where people had a hard time getting diagnosed.  She's not convinced one way or the other, but she didn't feel the doctor spent a lot of time on diagnosing her daughter.  I was hoping to pass on some stories so that she could show her husband that "no, doctors aren't always right".

I hope the girl doesn't have celiac, but I would hate it more if she does and has to go through life not knowing.  She's 4 years old.

I promise not to publish a book with the stories.  I just want some proof to show my friend that she should go for a second opinion.

One more question, I have never understood the blood tests and how to read them.  Is there a web-site anywhere that explains it in layman's terms?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

PS:  Terry Pray, if you're out there, e-mail me.  ;-)

Sidona/San Diego