From:
Katherine Rossner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 01:39:27 -0700

The recent spate of postings about Banff inspired me to ask...Does anybody
know of a spa/weight-loss center or the like that can deal with the
requirements of a celiac diet?  My mother has offered to send me to such a
place for an extended stay, but I'm having trouble finding one (though I
seem to have turned up one connection, but I thought I'd ask here if
anybody knows of others).  (My mother, as I've posted before, does NOT
understand about celiac problems and doesn't want to.)

The first place I was talking to at length, Franklin Institute of Fitness,
had never heard of celiac disease; they thought they could accommodate me
by substituting potatoes for all grains, but they couldn't also deal with
my food allergies.  (And in any case substituting potatoes for everything
doesn't seem like a great idea...)  Other places say that they have  a
fairly high-carbohydrate diet and couldn't change to suit me.

As I said, one possibility has turned up--I called one listing, which
turned out to be a referral source for seveal spas, and (wary by this time)
said, "First, I need to know--I have some special dietary restrictions; can
those be accomodated?"  The woman said, "What are they?"  I said, "Well,
it's rather complicated--" and she said, "Well, I just placed a celiac and
a lactose-intolerant--what's your restrictions?"  Hurrah! She'd heard of
celiacs and knew a place...but, for other reasons, I'm not sure that that
is the appropriate place, and in any case I'd like to know all the options.

So, if anybody has suggestions...I'm looking for a place focusing on
exercise and healthy (rather than extreme low-calorie) food and more
exercise :) where I can stay for probably a few months to lose a large
quantity of weight.  I don't care whether it's women-only--in fact, I'd
rather co-ed, I think, but it doesn't matter much.  US or western Canada
location.  Preferably not too expensive.  Preferably a place where others
are very obese, rather than a glamour spa where celebrities go to lose five
pounds.  And NO DRUGS (fen/phen, Redux, etc.).

Replies privately to [log in to unmask] please.  Thanks in advance to anyone
who can help.

Katherine