From:
Dara Skydancer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 11:21:24 -0500

Elizabeth Mackie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I've been diagnosed Coeliac since September last year.  I know someone whose
husband was apparently gluten intolerant (but never diagnosed or had a
biospy).  He has been seeing a naturopath and is feeling better and can now
eat some gluten containing products.

The lady has suggested that this naturopath could help me.  Does anyone know
of anything one that a naturopath has helped?

I would have thought that a naturopath wouldn't be able to help with
coeliac disease.  Am I wrong?

It depends whether he was simply gluten intolerant or if he had Celiac
Disease.  If he was just gluten intolerant, then, yes, a naturopathic doctor
could help, and he would eventually be able to return to eating gluten
containing foods.  However, from what I have read on celiac, one can never go
back to eating gluten containing foods as it will just detroy your villi
again.

I believe a Naturopathic doctor would help both cases, though.  This type of
medicine deals with the underlying causes of disease, not just the symptoms.
If the cause could be determined and treated, then the person would be
healed.  In that case, the gluten intolerant person could go back to eating
gluten, the factor that caused the allergy/intolerance having been dealt
with.  And the celiac, while maybe not eating gluten again, might heal a lot
more quickly.

Dara