From:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:40:58 -0400

- I jsut posted a recent poat recently abotu my 3 year old son.  Hei
s havign problems similiar to pre-diagnosiss as well and a few more
symptoms.
A  big problem is tummy aches and often in them iddle of then ight?
i  am beginnign to wonder about another food allergy or intolerance.
I am keepign a food journal but cant find any pattern yet.
He is also very pale
slightly anemic,
sweats easily,
a little bloated belly
hungry ALL the time
doesnt want to walk as m uch as he used to- joint pain??? not sure
we did an endoscopy last week and are still waitign the results.
But then urse did say the vili were a little blunted.  So i am
guessign soem type of absoprtion issue.
my son was great for his first year after diagnosis and no tummy
complaints.  His diet isnt much different so not sure what is goign on.
a few posts were:
a few peopel replied to me and said the gut flora may be off balance
or too much acid?
soemone said try eatign low oxalate foods (there is a lsit on the
internet)
food allergy?
gluten contamination?
vit D deficiency?
somone had similiar systoms and it was lymphona.  i will keep you
posted as i get any more info.  I know its hard...hang in there-
thanks, suzanne

- my kids and I have had a mix of these symptoms since being gf (5
yrs.).  I have found vitamin D to be a HUGE help.  I had major
trouble w/ low platelette, white blood cells and just border-line
anemia.  Is he off dairy?  Most people who live around or above 45
degrees latitude lack vitamin D, most people even lower don't get
enough sun w/out sunscreen which prevents us to make vitamin D,
cloudy or obscured skies prevent the sun's rays from getting to us to
even produce it.  We take 2000mg liquid vitamin D (prescribed by
doc). Its called LiquiD.  I don't give it to them every day and am
confindent that it won't over-dose them as I've read a lot about
vitamin D.
  Also, low sodium levels, crazy as it sounds, could be responsible
as well as low stomach acid.  Yeast overgrowth, too is a major cause
of poor absorption, food sensitivities and low stomach acid, sugar
addiction, etc.  I give the kids pure oil of oregano to keep the
yeast at bay...I know its there...as well as excellent quality
probiotics.  If you want any info on brands, let me know.  We went to
a Dr. Dennis Remington at the Freedom Medical Center in Provo Utah (6
hrs. for us) and learned an aweful lot about the role of yeast,
vitamins and minerals, probiotics and digestive enzymes and got a lot
of relief.  all the best to you. Kate
  Keep in mind that there could be cross reactions with other foods
that are similar in amino acid sequence to gluten.  Those items
include milk, corn, soy, yeast, egg, coffee, chocolate, and sesame.
I forget if there are others.  If you will listen to the talk by Dr.
Vojdani presented to the Pan American Allergy Society last March
(http://glutensensitivity.net/VojdaniDiagrams.htm) he mentions these
crossreactive foods.  It gets a little technical inplaces but it's
not too bad and worth hearing the whole talk to get what you can from
it.  I listened to it several times until I understood his message
better. Sincerely, Olive Kaiser
	1. it's pretty common for Celiacs also to have casein allergy and/or
lactose intolerance. If your daughter has osteoporosis, that suggests
unusually bad absorption of calcium in a very young person. Whether
that is common or not in young celiacs, you probably know better than
I. I personally have not heard of it, which may reflect nothing more
than my own lack of knowledge. If, however, it is unusual, that might
point to a calcium-related issue.
	2. For reasons no one quite understands, even a healed celiac gut
can continue to have some absorption problems. For instance, many
celiacs whose test results confirm that they have been compliant with
the diet have a hard time with dairy because their small intestine
still does not deal well with fats. Dairy, of course, is loaded with
fat.
The following site appears to offer a good summary of casein allergy
and lactose intolerance symptoms:
http://www.foodintol.com/dairy.asp
best of luck, Mary B. NYC

- FWIW, I was wondering the same thing about my own 11 year old
daughter this summer.
She doesn't have stomach symptoms but was getting back to her old
extremely difficult self.  I made her give up all Frito Lay products
and she is now back to the child she should be.  She recently showed
signs again and only admitted to cheating with some Fritos.  So you
may have already given these up, but I thought I would mention it.
It's a shame because they are so readily available and are what
everyone else eats.
We've also given up anything that says "may contain traces . . ." and
"manufactured in a facility with ...".  I'm gluten intolerant as well
as my daughters and I know I react to things that say this.  Again,
you may already have done this, but there's all levels of gluten
free, so I thought I would mention it.
I've noticed for me that if I have some accidental gluten, I can
still feel tired and irritable and have brain fog for about 2 weeks
or more.  And even though I didn't think I had stomach issues before
I went GF, after having some gluten, I notice my stomach hurts for a
few days after I eat, even though there isn't any gluten in what I'm
eating. Karen

- Get Andy Cutler book on mercury poisoning and look into it.

- Ask at your local pharmacy if something is "going around" in your
area.

- Kim -  You didn't say anything about lactose so I'm assuming she's
still consuming.  I know conventional wisdom has it that lactose
intolerance strikes at the very beginning of the gluten-free
experience, but it didn't affect me until I'd been g.f. for 14
months.  After I cut out ALL milk and milk ingredients (except hard
cheese) and substituted soy, the same symptoms came back and I
discovered I was also reacting to soy.  Soy is very difficult to get
out of the diet, but once I did that (and also cut out nuts), I'm
finally in complete remision of symptoms again. I'm also very
sensitive and react to many commercial "g.f."  products.  Possibly
the two go hand-in-hand.  So I would say try cutting out lactose,
then soy if necessary and also, if you're using commercially prepared
"g.f." products, drop down on the food chain to basic foods for a
while.  I know it hard with a child, but I'm sure you'll get to the
bottom of it with patience.  Hope this helps.  Mary B.

-I've been hesitant to take Caltrate b/c the company has not been
able to verify the source of the "modified food starch." Instead, I
take Os-Cal plus for my calcium and Vit D supplements. The label on
the front of the bottle clearly states "gluten free."Good luck!
Viviana in CT

- hi.  i have 0 gluten tolerance.  i  have reacted with dh and gut
and everthing to supplements that say they are gluten free.  there
may be traces in them or some connection somewhere in the process of
making them.  i would take her off of the caltrate and see what
happens.  i have found that many times i react in a gluten way to
some of the gluten free anything.  sometimes because of cross
contamination and sometimes i dont know.   pioneer vitamins are
supposed to be gluten free.  you can find them on line and read up on
them.   and you are right sometimes the reactions are to other
allergies we have and arent aware of.  good luck.  i hope the you
find the source quickly.  harriet i eat only fresh foods because i am
so sensitive.