From:
Sherri Castle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:48:50 EDT

On 6/13/05 I  wrote:
My 72 year old mom has  been GF for 2 months now after finding  out that 2 of
her daughters have  CD.  Her "rare skin rash" has been  clearing up for the
first time  ever.  She has more energy and feels better  than ever.

Upon  realizing that 3 of her mother's sisters had cancer (2  colon/  stomach
and 1 bladder) (possibly from undiagnosed CD?), she is going  to  have a
colonoscopy.  At the same time, her doctor wants her to have  an  intestinal
biopsy
done to test for CD.

He says she only   needs to be on wheat for 1 month prior  to having the
biopsy done.   (By the way, she has never been a big wheat  eater.  2 months
ago  she
had the diagnostic blood test for CD done, but it  was negative --  perhaps
because she doesn't normally eat a lot of  gluten?)

Is  one month of gluten enough time?
#######
Thank you for all your  many responses!  (Mom has decided not to have the
biopsy.)

15 people said don't go  back on gluten for the test.
4 said they don't know  how much time.
2 had the same question I  did.
5 had a specific amount  of time they thought she should be back on wheat as
follows:
  2 days (after  being off wheat for 5 weeks)
  1  month
  1-2  months
  2-3  months
  3  months

The majority felt she  should not go back on gluten because of all the
possible risks of reinjuring her  body just for the purpose of having that injury
show up on a test.  Many  also talked about how there are many false negatives
for the biopsy (and also  for the blood test), so why put your body through all
that torture when a test  may not even catch the damage anyhow (some added
that many people send their  results to Dr. Fasano since he is better than most
at reading the test  results).  Others said that an official diagnosis is not
as important as  her feeling well, so why risk it.

#######
Here are some excerpts of  responses:

Please do not be fooled  into thinking one month is long enough. I went
through hell for 1 month and the  equivalent of three slices of bread a day and
eating anything else that I  wanted. It did not get the desired result and I was
then told that I needed to  be on it for 6 weeks as minimum and 6 slices of
bread a day. Needless to say I  am unwilling to go again and will remain gluten
free as it gives me the result I  want. Good health. My tissue typing puts me
in the coeliac risk group and I am  happy with that
#########

So, even tho I am proven to have Celiac, I have had 2 negative biopsies  (1
before diagnosis, & 1 after.  Enterolab/Dr. Kenneth Fine has an excellent
article out entitled Early Diagnosis of Gluten Sensitivity:  Before the Villi are
Gone.  (http://www.celiac.com/)  You can get  it from Enterolab’s website at
_www.Enterolab.com_ (http://www.enterolab.com/) .
#########
Sherri in  STL