From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:27:54 -0400

I had posted a message last week concerning the current list of items
from LightLife that are gf.

Someone pointed out a problem with saying the Lean Breakfast Links were
gf because the package listed malt extract. Based on my conversations
with Lightlife they DO know what is gf so I wanted to check the package
before I called back the company. Since I don't eat this product I went
to the store to verify his information and yes the package in my store
said malt extract. I called back Lightlife to find out what was the
problem.

What is being made in the plant NOW does not contain the malt extract.
The current labels will reflect this. What the R&D people did not
understand is the pipeline between the manufacturing plant and the
consumer. That is apparently still full of Lean Breakfast Links with the
malt extract. Check the label and when it no longer lists the malt
extract it will be the gf version. This is what they are also doing for
the Lean Italian Links, but they have NOT switched over to the gf
version yet. They hope to do so within 3 months. However then we have to
wait for it to come through the pipeline.

So check the label.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA