From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 12:14:18 -0700

"Introduction: Everything You Wanted To Know about Constipation But Were
Afraid to Ask"

"A. Constipation Is the Last Taboo
     "Nobody wants to talk about the “C” word—that is, constipation. People
can talk about unusual sexual acts on midafternoon television, but no one
will talk about constipation. In our society it is considered impolite to
talk about your bowel function. This means that if you experience
constipation and its relatives—bloating, abdominal pain, straining, rectal
pain and pelvic pressure—you probably suffer in silence. You may be
embarrassed to mention it to your friends or family and even your
physicians. If you do mention your bowel trouble to your doctor, your are
usually put off with instructions to eat more salads and fiber. As
frustrating as this advice from your doctor may be, it is not really her
fault. Most doctors receive little or no education on constipation during
medical school, internship or residency."
-------------------
The above quotation is from Dr. Lahrs's book & website.  Dr. Lahrs is a
board certified colorectal surgeon who specializes in treating constipation.
  If this resonates with you, you may benefit from reading his website &
book.  http://www.constipation.net/Chapters/1_intro.html?  Following Dr.
Lahrs's advice has made a tremendously positive impact in my lifestyle &
wellbeing.  If you think you may refer to this later on, save this link.
His website is protected by password, but I've found a way to access it
through the "back door" w/o using a password.

Dr. Lahrs doesn't specifically address celiac disease but he does state that
chronic inflammation can cause nerve damage to the GI track that can
partially or fully paralyse the GI track.  (Chronic inflammation is one
consequence of untreated celiac disease).  Just knowing that this is
permanent & NOT MY FAULT, liberated me from the impossible quest I'd been on
for the last 35 years searching for just the right food, diet or exercise
that would "cure" my lifelong constipation problem.  Now that I've accepted
this as a fact of life, I finally know how to treat & deal with it
effectively and I couldn't be happier with the results!  -- Valerie in
Tacoma