From:
Chris Futia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 22:45:34 -0500

Peter (14 months, 14 pounds, failure to thrive) went GF 6 weeks ago.  Major
symptoms (irritability, chronic constipation) disappeared overnight.  A true
transformation.  Since then, 4 nasty URIs in a row and he's hardly eating.
 Result: scary weight loss.  To beef up his protein/fats, I've been adding an
egg yolk to each 8-oz bottle of Rice Dream (he seems more irritable on milk,
and gets rashy from soy).  He drinks 12-16 ounces of this a day, plus 8 oz of
water.  Sometimes that's all he takes in.  When he does eat, egg is a
frequent component of his diet.  It's one of the few protein sources we have.
 (He has only 7 teeth and spits out any meat we offer).  He does eat a little
PB at times.  Anyway, suddenly the constipation and irritability are back.
 We think it may be the egg.  Does this mean he isn't Celiac?  The first 6
weeks, he had a fair amount of egg (not as much as recently) but normal BMs
and a wonderful personality for the first time in his life.  We also gave him
a vegetable protein powder with barley protein in it up until yesterday.
 Could he have tolerated the barley protein in a small quantity for a while,
but now be more sensitive after being GF for 6 weeks?  Could something
similar be happening with the egg?  The change in this child after going GF
was so utterly astounding that we are equally astounded at the sudden return
of his symptoms.  There have been no other dietary changes.  Any thoughts
from people who've been "around the barn" a few times? (Any ideas on what to
feed a baby with poor appetite, who doesn't tolerate milk or soy, who needs a
GF diet, who may have trouble with eggs, who has only 7 teeth, who won't eat
meat, and who refuses any food that he can't feed himself?  Needless to say,
at 14 months & with developmental delays he can't handle a spoon himself.)

Desperate Mom Chris in NJ