From:
Jeanne Prine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 14:29:52 EST5EDT

Hi, everybody.  Judith Potts recently posted that her doctor had
diagnosed osteoporosis and says she "has real doubs that [she] could
have lost that much bone so soon" and is "very, very tempted to
believe this problem is related to malabsorption before [she] went
GF.  Anyone think this is a reasonable theory?"

I definitely do.  I've also been concerned about osteoporosis and
gluten.  I did find an informative book that other listmembers may be
interested in:  "Preventing and Reversing Osteoporosis" by Alan R.
Gaby, M.D. from Prima Publishing (no relation to me, I assure you).
ISBN 0-7615-0022-7.  It has several pages on celiac disease,
malabsorption, and osteoporosis and a chapter devoted to the role
of food allergies in osteoporosis.

The author takes the very optimistic view that osteoporosis is
reversible in many cases.  He is somewhat critical of the medical
establishment but does not advocate bizarre remedies--mostly
nutritional supplements along with hormone therapy.

I'm also doing a search of the celiac archives to see what comes up
on the topic of "osteoporosis."

By the way, I believe men as well as women can develop osteoporosis in
connection with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.  A friend (now
GF) has an arm fracture that has refused to heal and he now wonders
whether it is because of the gluten problem.

All the best,
Jeanne