Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 04:49:22 -0800

In my last summary, I asked for posters’ experiences with several low-carb flours. The results are below.

Coconut Flour:
“I made coconut cookies using coconut flour. Didn't like them. I am planning to try some flour, just a small portion, in with other flour blends.”

Also, and I alluded to it in my previous summary, when using coconut flour, you should add an equivalent amount of additional liquid to the recipe.

Coconut Flour sells at Bob’s Red Mill for $6.89 per lb.

Bean Flours:
“Just a note about the bean flours - the raw dough tastes "beany", but when it has been baked the bean flavor disappears. (If you lick the spoon, you'll see what I mean!)”

“I use garbanzo bean flour and fava bean flour all the time w/very good results, as part of my regular gf flour mixture. I mix one part bean flour, one part sorghum flour or buckwheat flour or almond flour, one part potato starch flour, and one part rice flour. Then I also add xanthan gum.”

Fava Bean Flour sells at Bob’s Red Mill for $8.09 for 1.5 lbs ($5.39 per lb)
White Bean Flour sells at Bob’s Red Mill for $3.89 for 1.5 lbs ($2.59 per lb)
Garbonzo Bean Flour sells at Bob’s Red Mill for $3.19 for 1.5 lbs ($2.13 per lb)

There were also suggestions of other possible low-carb flours.

Oat Flour: net carbs 18g: sugars 0g: protein 7g
This has too many carbs for my use, but it may work for someone else.

Teff Flour: net carbs 18g: sugars 0g: protein 4g
Again, this has too many carbs for my use.

Mesquite Flour (serving size 2 Tbsp or 18g): net carbs 10g: sugars 10g: protein 1.5g
At first glance this looks relatively low-carb, but the serving size is much less than the typical size for other flours (1/4 cup or 30g). Regardless, there are way too many sugars.
Mesquite Flour (30g equivalents): net carbs 17g: sugars 17g: protein 2.5g
It should also be noted that, from what I can tell, mesquite flour is used more as a flavoring than as a flour substitute.

On a personal note, I think I’m going to try using coconut flour. It’s significantly more expensive than the bean flours, but it is also at least half the number of carbs. I’ll post about my experience once I’ve tried it. Thanks to all for the info.
Angela Taylor