From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 13:01:48 -0400

A few weeks ago I wrote asking if people had experience with Forteo.  Here is my experience.  I started taking it last Wednesday.  Thursday morning I woke up feeling really tired after a good-night's sleep.  That morning at the gym I had a lot of trouble lifting.  Friday morning, again I woke up feeling really tired after a good-night's sleep.  When I went for a run, my legs felt like they were made out of iron.

Saturday I felt tired like you do when you have the flu.  I was also badly constipated.  I re-read the material in the package and it mentioned fatigue, muscle weakness and constipation and said if I experienced any of them, I should call my doctor.  So I did and they told me to stop taking it.

Today I went for a follow-up.  My doctor told me that there are IV versions of a handful of bisphosphonates (those are the osteoporosis drugs like Fosamax) that one would otherwise take by mouth.  He knows I can't take these drugs by-mouth because I have CD.

So the next thing we're going to do; I am going to take IV Boniva (it has to be administered by my doctor).  I didn't know there *was* IV Boniva.  If you didn't and you have trouble taking Boniva by mouth (I know people wrote me saying they *did* have that problem), you might consider asking your doctor for IV Boniva.

One problem I still have is that Boniva has never been tested on men.  But my doctor thinks this is just for bureaucratic reasons.  He says drug companies usually get around to testing osteoporosis drugs on men.  But they like to establish a market first.  He also said it's been test on children and it works.  I also won't know until tomorrow whether or not my insurance company will let me get IV Boniva.

The advantage of IV Boniva over the other IV drugs is Boniva can be administered quickly.  The other drug takes 2 hours to administer (and I don't have that kind of time).

Richard Paul
Washington, DC