From:
Perrianne Lurie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Perrianne Lurie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:00:46 -0400

And the rest are San Francisco:
There is a large Whole Foods Market in San Francisco. See www.wholefoods.com
for locations.
I live half way between San Francisco and San Jose.  You should try the
Thai restaurants around here.  Most menu items are GF.  Also try the pho
soup places.  And Vietnamese restaurants have many, many GF items.  Indian
restaurants are great too.
Whole Foods has stores all over.  I'm sure they have a website.  They have
almost everything GF.
Here is a summary I recently did.  Have fun!

Thanks to all who replied.  We had a great trip.  We didn't seek out
specific restaurants, but we found people were very helpful and willing to
work with us.  Fish restaurants eg Sam's are especially easy.  We also had
great Thai at BKK downtown.  Some responders recommended that you bring a
restaurant card (CSA) with you (we didn't).  Here is the scoop:

***
The mango chicken or mango prawns at Eric's (Chinese food) restaurant is gf
and excellent.
***
Regarding Ghiradelli - they now list gluten as a potential contaminate on
their products.  Evidently one of their factories produces gluten containing
foods thus they consider EVERYTHING made in that plant "potenitially
contaminated"  anything made in their second plant (no gluten in use) is OK.
I cannot comment on the icecream or chocolate sauce except to say check out
the label.  It is true that if you go to Ghiradelli Square you will have to
do a lot of label reading to find a chocolate bar that is OK to eat.
***
I always make a reservation when going out and mention that I am on a
gluten free diet.  They already have the info when you walk in the door.
I recommend Boulevard at 1 Mission St., San Francisco, telephone
415-543-6084.
***
GF friendly restaurants in San Francisco

1) Boston Market
2) Hawthorne Cafe
3) Chic's Seafood Restaurant (Pier 39)
4) Haegen Daiz
5) Alioto's Fish Market (upstairs Fisherman's Wharf # 8)
***
For those going to Fisherman's Wharf area, there are wonderful crab/fish
restaurants.  Just exercise the same cautions you do in any restaurant.  Or
you can buy a steamed crab (unfortunately without accompanying loaf of
sourdough bread), make sure they crack it well, and sit in the nearby park
and enjoy.  You can contact Jeff Golden at [log in to unmask] for a copy of
our local celiac-friendly restaurant guide.
***
There's wonderful food in asian markets in Chinatown in SF and Oakland.
Also, check out Rick and Ann's on Domingo street in Berkeley near the
Claremont Hotel for rice flour blueberry pancakes right on the menu. It's a
wonderful breakfast/brunch place and the pancakes are heavenly and worth the
trip. It's crowded on weekends.  Cafe Rustica on College Ave in Oakland has
rice flour pizza, you need to call the day before.  Then when you get there,
you order whatever toppings you want. It's not fabulously delicious crust,
but still, where can a celiac order up a pizza!  As far as markets go,
Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have large stores in SF and around the Bay
Area.  Both have lots of goodies for celiacs.  For asian food,  I skip
Chinese food because they use lots of soy sauce, but you can eat well in
Thai restaurants and of course, there's sushi in Japanese restaurants.  Just
watch out for imitation crab.  Bring your own soy sauce.  You can eat crab
at Fisherman's wharf, no problem, and there's lots of seafood there and
elsewhere, just make sure there's no breading on the fish or even dredged in
flour.  I like to stop in Chinese bakeries for dessert.  They have all kinds
of sweet rice flour products some with bean paste filling.  Hopefully
there's someone who speaks enough English to ask, but there are lots of
pasteries you can eat (and lots you can't).  For example,  there's a round
ball which has been deep fried (yes it's greasy, but really good) about the
size of a golf ball with sesame seeds all over  it.  Inside there's bean
paste or lotus bean paste. There are also rice flour savory things which are
rolled out rice flour dough in a circle which are then filled with shrimp
(fresh or dried) and green onions, and then the rcle is rolled up. These
either come in a package in an asian market, or in a chinese bakery, they
are in the deli case.  Very yummy.  I add a bit of shrimp paste from the
Thai market and g-f soy sauce and heat in the microwave or if it's from the
deli, we take it to the park and just eat it up.  You may also see
triangular packages wrapped in dark green leaves and tied with string. This
is rice with savories inside.  It's been steamed.  Also nice to eat in the
park.  There are some dim sum goodies you can eat, and lots you can't. I
like to go to Yank Sing on Battery Street in SF. It's crowded on the
weekend.  Talk to the main person in advance about which dim sum goodies you
can eat there. There are really good taro root dim sum and lots of others
made from rice flour. Generally those with translucent wrappings are rice
flour and the others are wheat flour. You may want to bring your own soy
sauce here too.  I should also add that any nice restaurant should cater to
your dietary restrictions, no problem.  Wendy's won't but if you can afford
to eat out a few dinners at nicer places, the waiters should take very good
care of you, especially if they speak english.
Perrianne Lurie
"Alas! The onion you are eating is someone else's water lily."