From:
Ona Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ona Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:57:18 -0800

November 3, 2006
  4:55pm  Long Beach, CA time

  Wonderful posts, everyone.

  Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.
  I will continue to  summarize, as long as the discussion continues.  :o)

  Have a wonderful evening & weekend,
                                                                 Ona

  1)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  ALLERGY Vs. INTOLLERANCE
  An allergy is totally different than an Intolerance. An allergy can cause foggy head, head aches, some times stomach aches, rashes - an intolerance means that your body can not digest that particular food at all and when that food is digested it causes an auto-immune reaction - it is like putting poison in that body. That is why Celiac's cannot ingest or digest gluten but corn for most celiacs is fine - unless they are "allergic" to it. Hope that helps clear it up.

  Celiac for 14 years
2)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  PROGRESSO "WHEAT FREE" SOUPS
  Progresso sells huge cans of several different types of clam chowder and other soups that don't have wheat listed in the ingredients.  I eat a lot of it in the winter.  It is currently $1.19 a can in the Charleston, AFB commissary.  It is about $1.50 in Target or Wally World.  Normally that is cheaper than the commissary.
3)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  WHEAT INTOLLERANCE
  It's possible that you have an "intolerance" to wheat rather than just an allergy.
  ALLERGIES ARE PERSONAL
  allergies are personal...probably no two people react to the same exact allergies
  WHEAT PROTEIN
  Simple--allergies, as well as the celiac reaction (which is not an allergy) are reactions to one or more proteins present in the grain. The starch from any grain
(including wheat) when properly extracted and purified should contain no protein. The problem with wheat starch for people with celiac is that except for Codex wheat starch, which isn't available in the US, there is a strong possibility that it is not sufficiently purified, and therefore still contains enough wheat protein to cause problems. (I have to admit to being not entirely convinced that wheat starch here isn't
sufficiently purified, but for certain it hasn't been tested for gluten/gliadin content.) Perhaps corn starch, even here, is sufficiently purified, hence you don't react. Even if there is a very small amount of protein left, it may not be enough to set off your
allergy.